Which keyboard Amp up to $300 / £225 / €250

Reaction score
I need a Keyboard amp for the new Korg Kross 2 that I bought a few weeks ago.

The PA700 that I have has an inbuilt Amp and speakers, my other Amp is Fender that is for my guitars.

I also have a small Boss Katana that I use with my Laptop for presentations in small venues (large room) and I currently use it on the Kross.

Now I want another Amp with a bit more Wattage that I can use with the Kross but I also want to use it when I give presentations and lectures in larger venues to about 100 people.

Not listened to anything as yet, just done online research and like the look of a Vox VX50KB, Behringer K450 or 900, Roland KC80 and Peavey KB3.

Weight or rather lack of it is a serious consideration, bad back and arthritic hip makes carrying weights very uncomfortable.

Any suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own a Behringer K450FX and it's a nice little 3 input amp that weighs in about 25 lbs. or so.

Sound is exceptionally clean and the 100 DSP effects built in are a nice bonus.

I've never really cranked mine up to max though, since I use it mainly at home.

It does a pretty good job of rendering all notes from lowest A to highest C so no complaints there.

It also has a 5 band equalizer built in which I just set and forget.

All things considered for the money I'm very happy with it.

I'm not all that certain though, that it could fill a a noisy venue with 100 people.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
the EV ZX-A1 is relatively light, and loud enough for 100 people. It doesn't have many features (no EQ, only two inputs -- "mic" and "line"). But it produces a whole lot of good sound, in an 18 pound package.

If it's outside your budget (which I think it is), look for a used one.

. Charles (biased, because I own a ZX-A1)

Reaction score
Cheers guys.

I have a problem in that my Fender Amp is big and to heavy for me to carry from a car park up three flights of stairs to a venue and it weights in at 3 lbs less than the Beringer, I should have noted the weights in the specs before I posted but I only went on a cost basis.

Talking of cost, the EV ZX A1 blows the budget out of the water and obliterates the weight criteria at a whopping 46 lbs.

I have looked at the weight of the other contenders in the price range and only the Vox meets the lightweight requirement that I have so I seem to be backing myself into a corner with what is available within budget.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Have you considered using some sort of dolly to help you transport your gear? Though I realize that 3 flights of stairs are a major obstacle to something with wheels. Maybe something that converts to a sledge so you can haul it easily up the stairs?

Either that or else have you considered adopting a sturdy young lad to be your Man Friday? :D

Or maybe it's just time to break down and move to a building with an elevator? Once you're past the half century mark in age, life is too short for futzing around with stairs... :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You're looking at the wrong ZX -- I think that's the weight of the subwoofer.

Here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-zxa1-90-powered-pa-speaker

19 pounds, but it does blow the budget . . .

What about something like a Behringer B108D (14 pounds, within budget, probably loud enough for what you want to do):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B108D

I think the design considerations (for the maker) are:

. . . How loud does it have to be?

. . . How deep should the bass go?

And from that, "size of woofer", "magnet weight", "amp power", and "weight" flow out. You can't have "loud", "good bass", and "light weight" in the same package. "Low price" makes things even harder.

. Charles

Reaction score
There's also a Behringer B208D -- 8" woofer, more features (mic input, etc) -- less power, similar weight, still within budget.

. Charles

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just looked at the K450FX specs and it weighs in at approx 16 Kg. That's actually about 35 lbs. I must be stronger than I look :D

Like Charles said, with big sound comes big weight.

Have you considered perhaps keeping one amp in your apartment for practice and another in your vehicle for easy transport to venues?

Assuming you have enough space in your trunk for it to sit there full time this may be a solution, though not the best one. Humidity, winter cold and scorching summer heat would do a number on an amp sitting in a vehicle's trunk 24/7.

Does your building have any sort of storage cubicles located on the ground floor where you could store it?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That 108 looks pretty good, it gets good reviews and it is 13lbs and best of all only £133.

I move around with the presentations and the third floor is the worst for access as I also have to carry my laptop, a projector and leads etc so I aleady have a bag weighing in at 15 lbs so another bag with the Amp / pa speaker at a similar max weight would make my load balanced.

The Kross 2, its bag, X stand and music file, music stand etc weighs in at 15 lbs so again a balanced load to carry.

Just found a
Behringer Eurolive B205D Active 150W

Looks like a contender and only 7 lbs in weight

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Yamaha "StagePas" -- 300 watt version, out of production -- would comfortably cover 100 people, with two 8" speakers. So would my ZXA1. So I think you'd be safe with the B108D or B208D.

You'll only _really_ know what works, for you, after you've tried it. Remember that the amount of air that a woofer cone can move, varies as the _cube_ of the woofer diameter. There is a substantial difference between a 5" cone, and an 8" cone. OTOH, you're the one who has to carry the speaker.<G>

I've never dealt with Sweetwater. You might phone them, and see if one of their technical reps has an opinion.

I understand the temptation to get something small and light. Make sure it'll do the job you need done.

. Charles

Ps -- there's a Roland "Cube", I think, that has a 5" speaker, and some EQ capabilities. It's small, light, and might be worth looking at. Behringer has something similar.

Ask a Question