WK 500 - AC7 file - Rhythm

Reaction score
Mayo

I would be interested in knowing what version of Data Manager you are using. Neither of the Versions 6.0 or 6.1 I have offer a "Rhythm Converter" option. I suspect that you are using the old IDES 4 software that did offer that option, and that is the problem for folks like George. They did not have an older model that came with IDES 4 and it appears that it is no longer available for download. If you have IDES 4, then the procedure is exactly as you described, but if you do not have access to IDES 4, then you won't get very far as you will not have anything to convert the MIDI file to a .ckf file. That is why I said in my previous post that we need to put pressure on Casio (Mike Martin ?) to repost the IDES 4 software somewhere for owners of the new models.

Sure
We should press the Casio people to do something for a 21 century.
They are still in the 19 th, it seems.
I don't have a clue which IDES 4 I'm using, I downloaded it from somewhere.
If anyone ca not find it, send me e mail on (e-mail address removed) and I'll send you the files.

Regards

Mayo

Reaction score
Sure
We should press the Casio people to do something for a 21 century.
They are still in the 19 th, it seems.
I don't have a clue which IDES 4 I'm using, I downloaded it from somewhere.
If anyone can not find it, send me e mail on (e-mail address removed) and I'll send you the files.

Regards

Mayo

Reaction score
hi Mayo,

thanks for the info , have managed to download a copy of IDES 4 from the net
not sure which version as its on another computer, Just bought a copy of Music Creator 5
so may find something on how to insert markers in there help files.

George

Reaction score
You can convert MIDI to CKF

1. Set up a MIDI file, I use Cubase and set markers

2. I export the file as General MIDI

3. Important: You need to set 11 markers Intro 1 & 2, Var 1&2, Fil1 -4, End 1 and 2. Since the one I use ( WK 7500) has 1 intro, 1 end, and 2 variations, I just copy them twice.

4. Open the software Music Data Management Software

5. Click the second box –Rhythm Converter

6. File open, Open SMF ( Previously set)

7. Then go to Command: Convert to Pattern ( It is 5 th in the file drop menu)

8. It will create CKF file

9. Wk 7500 reads ckf as if it was AC.7 files, so you can load it directly on the media card and then load it as user rhytm.
Fil 1 & 2 are the same as 3 & 4 or there is another combination? Many thanks in advance for the answer..

Reaction score
You can convert MIDI to CKF

1. Set up a MIDI file, I use Cubase and set markers

2. I export the file as General MIDI

3. Important: You need to set 11 markers Intro 1 & 2, Var 1&2, Fil1 -4, End 1 and 2. Since the one I use ( WK 7500) has 1 intro, 1 end, and 2 variations, I just copy them twice.

4. Open the software Music Data Management Software

5. Click the second box –Rhythm Converter

6. File open, Open SMF ( Previously set)

7. Then go to Command: Convert to Pattern ( It is 5 th in the file drop menu)

8. It will create CKF file

9. Wk 7500 reads ckf as if it was AC.7 files, so you can load it directly on the media card and then load it as user rhytm.
Hello!.Why you says 11 markers if the sum of Intro 1 & 2, Var 1&2, Fil1 -4, End 1 and 2 is 10, where is the 11th marker!
Many thanks

Reaction score
Hello Y-Man
Do you think that you can help me with this issue?. I have a CTK-671. There is a beautiful rhythm on this keyboard. It is called Electro pop. I have another CTK, it is 4400 that can accept 10 user rhythms. My goal is to create a ckf file from the CTK-671 for that Electro pop,and then download it into CTK-4400. Unfortunately casio has not included this beautiful rhythm in its Casio music site, so I download it straight. Could you guide me through how I can do it. I am a little dummy in this regard. Thanks a lot.
xera

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hello Y-Man
Do you think that you can help me with this issue?. I have a CTK-671. There is a beautiful rhythm on this keyboard. It is called Electro pop. I have another CTK, it is 4400 that can accept 10 user rhythms. My goal is to create a ckf file from the CTK-671 for that Electro pop,and then download it into CTK-4400. Unfortunately casio has not included this beautiful rhythm in its Casio music site, so I download it straight. Could you guide me through how I can do it. I am a little dummy in this regard. Thanks a lot.
xera

Hi Xera,

As you can see form the earlier posts, the way I was doing was with a casio software they used to have on their web site called IDES4, which they have taken off :(

The Y-man

Reaction score
For those who might be interested, in addition to the IDES software mentioned above, additional tones, DSP settings, registration memory data, songs, rhythms, etc for the following Casio models:

WK-3300/WK-3800/WK-8000/PX-410R/PX-575R
CTK-900/WK-3200/WK-3700
CTK-691/WK-3000/WK-3500
CTK-671

can still be downloaded from: http://music.casio.com/e/

Enjoy !

Reaction score
Hi Ted
Thank you so much for your information.Y- man asked me for my email , and I gave it to him , but seems that he is so busy. I have not got any reply from him yet. I hope that Casio had included the original rhythms that exist on casio CTK-671 available as ckf files. Electro pop still does not show , but seems that I have to some how play the keyboard rhythms, and find a way to create SMF as the keyboard plays the rhythms, and then make the ckf using IDES.
If you have information on how to create smf while playing the keyboard rhthms, that would be a great help.
Sincerely'
xera

Reaction score
Xera

If you have not already done so, you will need to download the IDES software for the CTK-671 from the Casio site, so that you can transfer your recorded songs from the keyboard to your PC. You will record a song with all of its "parts" using the Real Time Recording method described on Pages 46 thru 48 of the manual. Be sure to select your Electro Pop rhythm before you start. Since you can not record a second INTRO into a song that is already in progress, you will need to make two separate recordings. I recommend making the first to include INTRO-1, VARIATION-1 with a FILL, and ENDING-1, then doing a second take using INTRO-2, VARIATION-2 with a FILL, and ENDING-2. Then, use the IDES software to upload your "songs" to your PC as described on Page 68. During this process, you will choose to upload them as Casio proprietary songs or as Standard MIDI Files (SMF). Choose the SMF option. The conversion software that Y-Man will be using to do the conversion can be a bit tricky. Sometimes it wants its input to be in C chords and sometimes it needs them in C-7th chords to get everything to work correctly, so I would send him both - that is 4 recordings in total. Record the first pair I describe above using all C chords, and them record a second pair using all C-7th chords.

I really wish the both of you all the luck on this. It is a lot of work. I have tried many times, but have never been able to get everything to work correctly. Rhythm creation/conversion is a bit of an art.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Ted. Now my first question is that say when I play the keyboard it creates wave sounds( that is heard from speakers) which is not a single MIDI file(smf)
Does connecting the keyboard to MIDI cables to in and out MIDI ports will create MIDI file on the MIDI software on the computer? as keyboard is playing per say INTRO1?
I have Anvil studio, and the trial version of Sonar.So the very first challenge is to create an SMF, because other wise as keyboard plays you are having a wave file which IDES will not recognize.
The second thing is that so when I upload the first take as you mentioned, then does the IDES accept the second take while containing the first take? or should I record everything in a one take and separate them by markers, and then load them into IDES?Seems you have lots of experience going through the processes such as 7th chord thing and other trials with these.
The third thing is that if IDES accepts individual elements such as intro 1, or ending 2 for instance as take one,. Then is it possible to individually create just one MIDI file for each element, and feed them separately into IDES? meaning I say okay IDES first have the Intro1, after that I load the fill in 1, then say ending 1 and so on? because may be by this method no marker is required, and IDES recognizes all parts distinctively?Thanks again for your informative help.

Xera

Reaction score
Xera

First of all, you can forget about WAV files. The CTK-671 song recorder does not deal with them. It does not record or play them. Its song files are strictly MIDI. Wav files are recordings or real sound. MIDI files are not sound at all. They are just computer programs that tell keyboards and sound modules how to make their sounds. For a keyboard, a MIDI file is just a stream of computer data that says what key was pressed when, how hard was it hit, and how long was it held down - definitely not "sound". The IDES software was written specifically to handle the MIDI data generated by the CTK's song recorder.

Whether you choose to make your recordings directly to the CTK's on board recorder or to a PC DAW is up to you. Whatever you find easier. Personally, I am a self contained hardware guy. If I just want a simple, quick recording, I would rather do it with the onboard recorder rather than to fight with DAW software trying to get it to record what I really want. If you decide to use the onboard recorder, when you upload to the PC, you name the file using standard Windows file naming conventions. When you upload any subsequent files, you just make sure not to use the same name as a file that is already there, so everything stays separate.

How you do the recordings - single takes or multiple takes - is between you and Y-Man - whatever he would find easiest to deal with. I am beginning to think your idea of each rhythm "part" in its own MIDI file might be best, but that is a lot of files to keep track of.

The manual I was talking about is the CTK-671 user's manual. If you need a copy, you can download it from here:

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/ctk_671_01_e.pdf

Again, best of luck with this. You have chosen a very noble task.

Reaction score
Thank you Ted
Could you please be specific about connections. How do you connect your keyboard so to create a SMF? As you play the rhythm on the keyboard you record it where? windows sound recorder? or you connect MIDI cables and record it on the a MIDI software? How did you do your rhythm conversion, so IDES accepted it?
Regards
xera

Reaction score
Xera

I record to the keyboard's internal song recorder. At that point, it is in a Casio proprietary format. Then I use the IDES software to upload it to the PC. I tell the IDES software to convert it to a Standard MIDI file as it uploads it, so when it gets onto the PC, it is in SMF format. This is strictly a file transfer process. I am not "playing" the song into the PC - just transferring it to the PC.

I do not record to the PC's DAW software. I only use the PC's DAW software to edit the song once the IDES software has uploaded it to the PC and converted it. For me, that keeps the recording process as simple as possible. I do not have to set up the PC's DAW software to do the recording. The keyboard's song recorder knows by design which tracks to record everything to, and I know where to expect to find everything once I do open it with the DAW software for editing.

The fact that you asked about the Windows Sound Recorder tells me that you are still confused about the difference between "sound" and MIDI files (data). A MIDI recorder does not record sound at all. It records physical key presses - numerical data that represents which key was pressed when, how hard it was hit, and when it was released. You could not play a MIDI file through a sound system and hear anything intelligible. In this entire process, you will not be dealing at all with real "sound". You will be dealing strictly with MIDI data.

Good luck !

Last edited:

Ask a Question