"Won't Get Fooled Again" Organ on the Hammond SK Pro -- adding Filter Sweep

Reaction score
I'm currently exploring the sounds from my SK Pro to perform the iconic "Won't Get Fooled Again" synthesized Lowrey organ sound from the iconic song by the Who. (Some say Pete T used a Hammond, but I've read it was done first on a Lowrey, yet one video shows him playing it on a Hammond).

Anyhow, the Hammond SK Pro has an organ patch called "Wont Get Fooled" and it's pretty close, but it needs some tweaks. It has the square-wave tremolo set at the correct depth and rate -- which matches up exactly with the BPM of the song when I play it from my iPhone -- and it has an Ace organ tone as the foundation. I've played around some using the Farfisa or Hammond tones, and still haven't settled on "the" organ sound I will use yet . But I did add a flanger effect to help enhance the sound, but I'm finding, to my ear at least, that it's missing the sound of the filter sweep...

* Has anyone added a polyphonic synth tone -- which could have a filter sweep added in time to complement the tremolo (maybe every 4 beats), as controlled by the LFO -- and allocating that into the mix with the organ sound? I haven't gotten to test it yet, but it seems it could do what I want.

* Or are there another SK Pro options and/or settings to play with?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Old No7

Reaction score
Thanks Gary -- work has really wiped me out lately; and I've not even had the chance to check that out in detail... But I will, and will report back here what I get done on the SK Pro to improve the "Fooled" sound.

Old No7

Reaction score
I've added a Tremolo effect to a lead synth poly patch (using the same settings as on the organ patch), and then I added a Phaser effect, which helps somewhat, but it's not giving me the full Filter Sweep sound that I want yet. I'm still working on it, but work and home life stuff keeps getting in the way.

The mono synth in the Hammond SK Pro has much more capabilities than the poly synth patches in the ensemble section; I'm trying to add one of those mixed in with the organ patch and hope to get a filter sweep that way.

Old No7

Reaction score
The mono synth in the Hammond SK Pro has much more capabilities than the poly synth patches in the ensemble section
Actually, I think it's the other way around... I'm pretty sure the poly synth has more total editable parameters. But of course, not easily accessible from the front panel like the mono synth controls are.

I think you should be able to get the filter sweep sound you want from the the poly synth by using LFO1 on Component Filter Depth (for the appropriate component(s) for the sound you're using), and also setting the LFO Trigger Mode to Free. Use the Triangle waveform, at the appropriate Rate.

I think you'd still be able to use LFO 2 for the overall "repeat" effect, though personally, when I play the song, I hit all the chords individually. As soon as you go to automatic triggering, it becomes a pain to keep the rhythm tight with the drums. (We don't feed tracks or clicks to the drummer through headphones, like The Who did.)

Reaction score
I think you should be able to get the filter sweep sound you want from the the poly synth by using LFO1 on Component Filter Depth (for the appropriate component(s) for the sound you're using), and also setting the LFO Trigger Mode to Free. Use the Triangle waveform, at the appropriate Rate.

Thanks Scott -- I'll give that a try (and compare it to what I'd done; you're correct that there are any parameters to adjust -- I just need to find the right combo.

Old No7

Ask a Question