NP30 won't make any sounds

Reaction score
When I press keys on my Yamaha NP30, I don't hear anything from the internal speakers, nor when I plug in (working) headphones.
The red power light is on (plugged into AC adaptor), and the volume slider all the way up.
Also no sound when metronome is selected, or any internal 'preset' songs.
I do get MIDI data from MIDI OUT, so I know the keyboard is getting that input are working.

I have tried turning on "Local Control", by holding the SONG and PIANO buttons whilst pressing the highest C.
I have tried a reset, by holding right-most note whilst powering on, then letting go (which Google suggests is standard Yamaha keyboard reset process).

It's a keyboard I seldom use. This was working, but I think I did turn off "Local Control" when I last used it a few months ago. But now I can't get it back on... and I really need it on! Any other advice please?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the headphone socket like a 1/4 to 1/8 or vice versa adapter.

Otherwise check if it also happens with headphones as well as line outs.

LOCAL OFF is still a suspect.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the headphone socket like a 1/4 to 1/8 or vice versa adapter.

Otherwise check if it also happens with headphones as well as line outs.

LOCAL OFF is still a suspect.

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary. As mentioned in my original message, I've double-checked the headphones socket is empty and also plugged in some working headphones. Is there is no line out on the NP30.

I agree LOCAL OFF is a suspect (since I was playing with it previously...). But I'm not sure how to toggle it! Is there any way to send a LOCAL ON message through MIDI, or does it have to be through the keyboard? Is there any other way of doing a factory reset?

Reaction score
https://electronicmusic.fandom.com/wiki/Local_control says "The controller message in question is of type 122. An data byte value of 127 tells the receiver to turn local control on; a value of 0 is for local control off."

The NP-30 manual suggest that LocalControl is 7AH, with a value of 7FH for on - I think 0x7A is 122, and 0x7F is 127, which seems to match!

Now I just need to work out how to send a CC 122 with value 127. I'm using Cantabile Lite (but willing to use any free Windows software to get it back up and running!).
Edit: I tried this, but it isn't working...
sendmidi.exe dev "Saffire 6USB" cc 122 127
Edit2: I've downloaded "MIDI Tools", gone to "View", "Controllers" and selected "Local on"... but still no luck.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You'd have to ask someone else those questions.

If a factory reset did't fix it then it's definitely hardware at fault.

Contact Yamaha support for repair info.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question