Won't get fooled again

hab

Reaction score
Wow! My wife and I were just listening to that the other day, and musing over how it was done. This was pretty much what I'd predicted. Yeah, the Who NEVER used keyboards live on stage, and it actually helped drive Moon to his death (probably would have done it anyway). Townsend always wanted to have a keyboardist play live, but Roger wouldn't have any of it (didn't want to split the check). So every time they had a keyboard heavy tune, Keith had to play to a click (including the entire Quadraphenia album), and often times the tapes would break or warp mid-show and cause him a whole lot of stress. It was on the Quadraphenia tour that Moon upped his drug regiment to ridiculously dangerous levels.

Folks, this is why you hire a keyboard player!
not never
just not with keith

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
AWESOME!!

The Drummers cans tell me that the Synth sound is is recorded. The Keys player is thumping the woodwork too.
Great clip! Thanks Paul

Hey Paul psst! Do you think Pete Townshend looks a lot like Paul Keating? lol

Ray

Reaction score
Hey Paul psst! Do you think Pete Townshend looks a lot like Paul Keating? lol
Haha I've never considered that before. Maybe a little!

By the way Ray you should know you've inspired me to do this song in our band. Not sure when - we've got a long list of songs we'd like to learn, but we currently do "Pinball Wizard" and we're going to replace it with this. Thanks for the idea!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
By the way Ray you should know you've inspired me to do this song in our band.

Wow! I am chuffed!

It is a great tune and not a regular tune on the playlists of any cover bands which I have seen. Good luck with it. Will you personally be playing the synth bits of which we have been discussing?

Ray

Reaction score
Will you personally be playing the synth bits of which we have been discussing?
Yep I'll definitely play them as we don't use backing tracks.

The only question at this point is will I actually play every note (like the chap on the SV-1 does in the clip I posted before) or will I use the LFO to cut the notes off like The Who did? If we do it that way our drummer will have to play to a click.

I'm open minded about it at present - I'm very much in the "whatever works best" camp when it comes to live performance.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not Won't Get Fooled Again but another Who number using a similar organ line.

Baba O'reilly, The Blue Man Version...

I'd love to see them do a Won't Get Fooled again cover.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Not Won't Get Fooled Again but another Who number using a similar organ line.

Baba O'reilly, The Blue Man Version...

I'd love to see them do a Won't Get Fooled again cover.

Gary ;)

Great idea.

We went on holiday to the USA in 2000 and saw a clip as part of the inflight entertainment of Blue Man Group performing.

Roll on a couple of werks and we were in Las Vegas where they were performing in pne of the Hotels theatres so we booked and went to see them, it was surreal experience and totally awesome.

hab

Reaction score
Ah, yes but that's a different song.

Check out this clip, watch the keys player and note the cans the drummer is wearing:

yes, they never have done this song without that backing track its just too hard to replicate.What a great band.Have you ever heard the multi tracks?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I like the way the vocalist sang most of the fiddle part at the end-- with only a little assist from electric guitar.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The Blue Man Group version of Baba was superb and exciting musically and visually. Thanks Gary.

The Multitracks of WGFA shines a new light on the compexity of the sound. Thanks for pasting the clip hab.

Hello Becky . . Are you there?
Since this thread has become so popular could you please amend the heading . . Could you please add an apostrophe in Won't. Thanks. It annoys me . . I wasn't able to fix it.
Ray

Reaction score
Wow! My wife and I were just listening to that the other day, and musing over how it was done. This was pretty much what I'd predicted. Yeah, the Who NEVER used keyboards live on stage, and it actually helped drive Moon to his death (probably would have done it anyway). Townsend always wanted to have a keyboardist play live, but Roger wouldn't have any of it (didn't want to split the check). So every time they had a keyboard heavy tune, Keith had to play to a click (including the entire Quadraphenia album), and often times the tapes would break or warp mid-show and cause him a whole lot of stress. It was on the Quadraphenia tour that Moon upped his drug regiment to ridiculously dangerous levels.

Folks, this is why you hire a keyboard player!

Ask a Question