Yamaha DGX670 USB Midi to 5-Pin midi device

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to buy a Dgx670 but I need to connect it to a Voice Harmony unit (Tc-Helicon Vk) - which only takes 5-pin Midi ... and I don't want to have to use a laptop as a go-between.

I know of various hardware based USB-Midi Host boxes such as the Kenton or Doremidi devices which eliminate the need for a PC. However, there's no guarantee that they'll work with the DGX670. The Kenton gets close in that they've stated it as working with the DGX 660.

Does anyone on this forum have direct experience of connecting a DGX670 to a standard 5-pin Midi device? If so, I'd love to know how you achieved it ... And what hardware unit you used.

Thanks in advance, Jem

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Indeed that's my view, but before shelling out £1,000 plus I need to know rather than suspect. Kenton offered me a refund if I bought their unit and it didn't work - which was great, so I contacted Yamaha London to ask they'd try it for me. If they put the same effort into helping as they did making up legal-sounding excuses as to why they couldn't possibly connect anything to Yamaha gear, we'd have been sorted ages ago :)

So ... I guess I'll keep on asking or wait until someone selling a USB- Midi Host box states that it works with the DGX 670.

Thanks, Jem

Reaction score
The 670 is not an iterative evolution of the 660, it is a ground up new design, or so the sales speak would have us believe.

So you are wise to be cautious.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Whilst Yamaha don't have the confidence to support a money-back guarantee over this issue, I did receive the following from them ...

-----------------

Dear Jeremy Cotton

Thank you for your enquiry.

Q: Is the DGX670 Midi class compliant?

A: Yes the DGX670 is a class compliant product

I hope this helps and thank you for contacting Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK).

Reaction score
Once 670’s are in stock and available to try I would be tempted to buy one of the Kenton units and take it to a store, connect it up and see how it goes.

That is assuming the music store would be in agreement before shelling out the cash on the Kenton.

Or buy both on the basis that you can return them, most keyboards have a 14 day free return but only for online purchases ( instore buys can be no return of vouchers ) and away you go.

Reaction score
Once 670’s are in stock and available to try I would be tempted to buy one of the Kenton units and take it to a store, connect it up and see how it goes.

That is assuming the music store would be in agreement before shelling out the cash on the Kenton.

Or buy both on the basis that you can return them, most keyboards have a 14 day free return but only for online purchases ( instore buys can be no return of vouchers ) and away you go.

---
Hi - Thanks for the reply.

Getting a unit shipped with a 14 day return sounds wonderful, but the cost of carriage to/from the Isle of Man would be significant.

I tried to get one dealer to agree to a physical trial (Yamaha London), but they were far more interested in coming up with excuses as to why they couldn't help, than any reasons as to why they could. They quoted their inability to track deliveries, and even stated that they weren't authorised to install the software involved, on Yamaha laptops. What software ? This (the Kenton host unit) is a hardware box so no software involved. Realising I reached the box-shifter's brick wall, I gave up. They clearly weren't listening.

Kenton on the other hand offered to provide a unit on sale or return which is really helpful.

So - I think I'll just take a punt on the Kenton box (£80's not the biggest cost), and take it along with me whenever there's stock available and if I can find a dealer with one in. Standing in the shop, I figure I stand a better chance of getting the salesman to take the huge risk of plugging in a USB lead, especially if I wave my credit card around.

If and when I get past the fog and actually get this thing up and running, I'll pop a note on the forum. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Isle of Man, gorgeous place.

Been there a couple of times on business but never had a holiday there.

If you get over here either by ferry of plane there are a lot of Music Stores in the North West.

Promenade Music in Morecambe
A&H Hamilton in Preston
Rimmers in Leyland, Liverpool and Blackpool
PMT in Salford
Music Matter in Preston
Dawsons in Liverpool and Manchester

To name but a few, I have bought from them all as I live in the region.

Reaction score
Got a similar problem only I want to send MIDI data from a Yamaha P-125 which I assume is older than the DGX670. I just posted before I read this post. I need to send data live to my Roland VR-09. I can do it by sending from an old Roland Juno 2, but the Juno is really ancient.

Reaction score
I have two units, a Hobbytronics unit, (UK) and an Excellvalley unit, both work on my Yamaha DGX620, older model board, but may help you a little.

Reaction score
I just ordered this from Ebay. It looks like it should do the trick. You power it from powerblock usb charging device and then add a standard usb to device cable to keyboard and a 5 pin midi cable from module to the interface...

Reaction score
I just ordered this from Ebay. It looks like it should do the trick. You power it from powerblock usb charging device and then add a standard usb to device cable to keyboard and a 5 pin midi cable from module to the interface...
I'd sure like to know if this works for you. The seller told me that according to the Yamaha manual the device can't work with the P125.

Reaction score
If the Kenton doesn’t work, nothing will.

Your best option is to dump your non-compliant keyboard and buy from a manufacturer who believes in building to Industry standards.

Gary ;)
The DGX670 is industry standard…

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The speed of the USB connection might be an issue. I'm guessing the DGX-670 might require a USB 2.0 cable. If you're connecting to the host device with a USB 3.x cable, try using a USB 2.0 cable instead.

Another possibility is that the device in question might say that you can connect a USB hub to it in order to use multiple USB-MIDI devices with it at the same time, but the DGX-670 might not work with USB hubs. If you are using a USB hub, try connecting the DGX-670 directly to the host device.

Reaction score
I just ordered this from Ebay. It looks like it should do the trick.
I'd sure like to know if this works for you. The seller told me that according to the Yamaha manual the device can't work with the P125.
In fact,this did NOT work with the DGX670.
I'm surprised to hear issues with P125/DGX670, since they are class compliant, as all Yamahas have been for years (since 2012, according to Kenton).

Ask a Question