Yamaha S90 Performance Mode Questions

Reaction score
Blast from the past...I still have my S90, and is sounds great. Just started playing in new band, so blowing the dust off the S90 as well as my keyboard programming brain.

I have two Voices, one a piano, and the other strings, that I'd like use on different splits of the keyboard. Simple enough, I go into "Performance" mode, and select these as two of the four "Elements" in my split. Works great, EXCEPT, I only want the sustain pedal to work on the piano split, not both. I looked at both saved Voices, and there are ways to assign the Mod Wheel, Breath Controller, etc., but I can't find where you turn on/off the input from the sustain pedal. I was hoping someone knows how to do this at the Voice level, or if it can be disabled on the strings Element.

I also wanted to setup a Performance Mode split with a piano Voice and an organ Voice. Again, simple to setup the Performance, but now, the Mod Wheel, which turns on the Leslie speaker effect for the organ Voice does nothing. If I pull up the Voice itself in Voice Mode, the Mod Wheel works fine, but as part of a Performance, nothing. I tried different factory organ Voices, nothing. I also took another Performance that has a flutey-sounding Voice as one of its Elements (and the Mod Wheel works fine on the Flute in Performance Mode), and replaced the flute with an organ, and now, with the same Performance, the substituted organ does not respond to the Mod Wheel.

Does anyone with S90 / ES / EX / Motif experience know what I'm missing. Thanks in advance!

Keith

Reaction score
If it's like the later Yamahas I'm familiar with, you're looking for the RCV SW (Receive Switch) parameter in the Performance editing section, which will allow you to enable or disable the sustain pedal (or any controller) for each Part within the Performance. This should address the modulation wheel question as well.

You may not be able to alter this controller behavior at the Element level (within a single Voice), but you can definitely do it at the Voice level (within a multi-Voice Performance).

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Since posting this, I did play around with the RCV SW, and you are correct, at the Voice level within a Performance, I was able to set it up like I wanted.

Thanks again! For most of the time I've had the S90, I used mostly Factory Voices, etc., and the new group I'm playing with is needing several splits/layers, which work well in the context of a Performance. Really diving deep into the S90 - wish I had done that years ago!

Ask a Question