Yamaha ModX6/7+ Keybed Synth Action

Reaction score
I really like the soft synth action of the inexpensive Yamaha keyboards like the PSR-EW310/410 or similar. Can anyone give their experience with the ModX 6/7+ keybed whether it's about the same as those inexpensive keyboards or softer/harder? I learned from my mistake in buying a Juno-DS76 which after months of trying to get used to the much harder action, can't find a way to enjoy playing on it despite liking it a lot. TIA!

Reaction score
I believe my MOD6 keybed is similar to the Yamaha MX49 I had before; and I had an EW410 for a couple of weeks, and it seems similar to that. I would consider the shorter MODXs (not the -88 version) a "soft" synth action for sure; it's not at all heavy to me -- maybe a little "plastic-ey" feeling for me, but I sure can wail on it.

I've not played a Juno DS-76, but do know the hammer-action DS-88 that I've tried was very "mushy" -- to me, that is -- no where as nice as Roland's PHA4 action like in their FP line (for e-piano actions -- not synths, I know).

Old No7

Reaction score
Thank you Old No7, I went to a music shop hoping they would have the short MODXs and luckily they did and it's exactly like you describe soft and can wail on it. The short Junos have a lot of resistance for every key press and my hands aren't that strong. I really like the user interface for the Juno but the keybed makes it unplayable for me. Also realized when trying out the 88 key MODx that I don't get along with GHS action. I'll have to try the one you mention thank you!

Ask a Question