Yamaha Synth Brass

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I feel like my dilemma would be a very common one, but I have yet to find a solution. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was borrowing a friend's Yamaha DX-300, and while using it we wrote a song inspired from the "Synth Brass" voice (General Bank #86). This is a common voice on many of the Yamaha keyboards. We want to start playing the song at gigs, but I don't want to lug his keyboard around just for that one song. We have found some comparable voices through some digital modules (I play an Alesis QS7 connected via midi to a Sony laptop to take advantage of additional digital sound modules, e.g. Sample Tank, etc.) but nothing that comes close enough to be as good as the Yamaha Synth Brass voice.

This sound is available on Yamaha keyboards that sell for a couple hundred bucks. I figured it wouldn't be hard to locate an affordable rack-mount module that I could hook my midi controller into. Every new Yamaha module I find out there seems to cost well over a $1,000!

I just want something portable that will give me the Yamaha Synth Brass sound. I suppose as a last resort I could take apart a Yamaha keyboard and figure out a way to get the digital chips + MIDI in/outs separated from the keys? It just seems weird that this is such a ubiquitous voice, and I can't find it on anything besides a Yamaha keyboard.

Any ideas?

Ask a Question