Yamaha yc61 and Casio Px5s midi problem

Reaction score
Connecting the Yc61 as a master or slave with the casio px5s via midi causes the Yc61s sounds to freeze up and continually hold notes. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have no experience with either of those keyboards, but it sounds like it might be something to do with the Note Off messages either not being received or not being interpreted correctly. That might seem obvious, but sometimes the obvious turns out to be wrong, so it's best not to assume anything. Have you tried using a MIDI monitor to see what the messages look like? And how are you connecting them together?

Reaction score
Connecting the Yc61 as a master or slave with the casio px5s via midi causes the Yc61s sounds to freeze up and continually hold notes. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?
Explain your midi connections please. What is being connected to what, i.e. midi out of this to midi in of that, etc. for EVERYTHING in the midi chain when this event occurs.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the manual for the YC61 yet, but a cursory glance at the MIDI reference for the PX-5S shows that (1) the PX-5S can use high-resolution Note On/Off velocities, and (2) the PX-5S looks like it might use a Note Off velocity of h40 by default rather than a Note Off velocity of h00.

If you're trying to use the PX-5S as the controller for playing the YC61, I would recommend connecting it to your computer so you can use MIDI monitor software to see what the PX-5S is outputting for Note Off events.

If you're trying to use the YC61 as the controller, I would do the same with the YC61.

Also, if you're connecting the two keyboards together directly by MIDI cables, I would try using one-way MIDI connections first-- that is, OUT of one to IN of the other-- instead of trying a two-way connection, just to quickly eliminate whether there's some kind of MIDI feedback going on.

Reaction score
I have no experience with either of those keyboards, but it sounds like it might be something to do with the Note Off messages either not being received or not being interpreted correctly. That might seem obvious, but sometimes the obvious turns out to be wrong, so it's best not to assume anything. Have you tried using a MIDI monitor to see what the messages look like? And how are you connecting them together?
Explain your midi connections please. What is being connected to what, i.e. midi out of this to midi in of that, etc. for EVERYTHING in the midi chain when this event occurs.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I don’t have a midi monitor. It doesn’t always happen. I’ve connected both using two midi cables. In and out and in. I’ve also just used one cable. Either keyboard as master or slave.
Is there a midi monitor that you would recommend?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pretty much the most downloaded MIDI Monitor on the Web is MIDIOX.

A quick google will turn up the link.

BTW, the Yamaha YC series and other boutique synths of that sort frequently ship with minimal MIDI implementations so it may end up impossible to reconfigure.

BTW, have you tried hooking them both up to a computer and allowing the computer to act as a MIDI router instead of using DIN cabling?

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If you're on Windows, I would second the recommendation for MIDIOX-- although DAWs often include some sort of MIDI monitoring capability, so if you have a favorite DAW then you might want to check its user manual to see what it can do.

Reaction score
Pretty much the most downloaded MIDI Monitor on the Web is MIDIOX.

A quick google will turn up the link.

BTW, the Yamaha YC series and other boutique synths of that sort frequently ship with minimal MIDI implementations so it may end up impossible to reconfigure.

BTW, have you tried hooking them both up to a computer and allowing the computer to act as a MIDI router instead of using DIN cabling?

Gary ;)
I’ll give it a try, thanks.

Ask a Question