Dead key problem

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha P-115 that has recently developed an odd issue. Yamaha tech support didn't really have an ideas. When I turn it on 4 keys are dead. These are the two highest C#s and the two highest Gs. 4 keys, same keys in two different octaves. Typically if I just play for while they start to work again, even if I haven't touched them. Tech support suggested the contacts were going bad. Perhaps, but the pattern seem odd. If contacts on 4 random keys are going bad, why would it be the same two notes in two different octaves? And why would it spontaneously repair over time without any of them being touched? I live out of the US, in an area where there is no technician. Nor am I terribly mechanical so the idea of diving into this keyboard with a screwdriver in hand is a bit daunting. Beside, it smacks of an electronic or software problem to me, rather than a mechanical one. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Thanks for any ideas.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Yamaha Tech is correct. It's probably the key contacts.

Since it's two adjacent spots it might be that something liquid spilled in between the keys and caused corrosion or fouled the contacts.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yamaha+dead+key

Your options are either attempt a DIY, or find a local tech who can handle the job, or else ship it off for repair.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for taking time to respond. They actually aren't adjacent. It's two different octave and the repeating notes are about 3 inches apart. Seems an oddly patterned failure.

Bill

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All the same, it's a hardware failure for sure.

At the very least it will require opening up, possibly removing and cleaning and reseating a ribbon connector or two and possibly cleaning the offending key contacts as per the videos.

You mentioned that you are currently overseas. If I might ask, which country? You should be able to find an electronics or keyboard tech in the closest major city and though it might get pricey and require shipping you need not ship it all the way back to Japan for repairs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Suspect you are right. I live in the mountains of Panama, about 8 hours by car from Panama City. The closest tech is probably there. So, I just have to take screwdriver in hand and brave it.

Bill

Reaction score
Gary,
Interestingly, I turned the keyboard on about 10 minutes ago. Those four keys were dead. They just now all came live at the same time. That's the weirdness of this. It's almost like they heat up, which is the reverse of what someone would expect with electronics.

Bill

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's probably just a dirty ribbon connector to the keybed.

If you are brave enough to open it up all you'd have to do is pull the ribbons, taking careful note of where they reattach, then squirt a little contact cleaner on them and CAREFULLY reseat them.

I wish you good luck with this project.

My advice is to take dozens of photos at each step of the disassembly so that you know where to put everything back when you're done.

Also be careful not to remove the outer screws that hold the keybed to the base unless you have to. They are usually two rows in the middle of the bottom of the case.

There are hundreds of videos on repairing a dead key on youtube.

My advice is to watch a dozen or so of those to get a better feel for how to prepare for the job.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, it's not uncommon in tropical climates for electronics to develop corrosion and even grow fungus on the metal pins of connectors.

Given your locale and the spacing of the defect it seems most likely a fouled ribbon connector.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question