Downloading new songs to WK-500?

Reaction score
I have an Apple and I'd like to transfer midi files to the WK-500 to learn new songs. It doesn't look like Casio provides that for Apple users. Is that right? or did I overlook something while reading online and the owner's manual? I appreciate, in advance, your assistance.

Reaction score
I have an Apple and I'd like to transfer midi files to the WK-500 to learn new songs. It doesn't look like Casio provides that for Apple users. Is that right? or did I overlook something while reading online and the owner's manual? I appreciate, in advance, your assistance.

I am not familiar with the wk500 but if you can play external midi's on it, just transfer the downloaded ones from your pc to whatever medium you keyboard takes. USB? SDcard? Floppy?
All GM (general midi) is standard (more or less) and as far as I know the Casio takes SMF files. S-tandard M-idi F-iles. So it should not be a problem.

The Y_man

Reaction score

See page 65. MacOs X is supposrted.

The Y-man

Reaction score
See page 65. MacOs X is supposrted.

The Y-man

Yes, and I have played through the garage band feature on my Mac. Specifically, what I'm referring to is the "Music Data Management Software - Data Manager":

http://support.casio.com/download.php?rgn=4&cid=008&pid=341

I understand that this driver is needed to download midi files onto the casio via the micro sd card (page E-68). I'm sorry, but I'm completely new to this, and maybe there's an easier way? I'm just looking to add new songs to the WK-500 from my Mac so that I can learn to play them. I know how to read music, but it's been a while (high school) since I sight read, especially bass clef, and I'd like to use the learning function to check my work. Is there a way to run a line in to the keyboard and download midi files? I could find the midi files online, or I'm sure there's a program to convert standard songs in my library to midi. Either way, I'd like to take those files, download them to my WK-500, and learn to play them. Thank you.

Reaction score
In case anyone ever does an internet search on this same subject, I'll post the response from Casio's customer service here:

"Thank you for contacting Casio America. You can connect your WK-500 to a
Macintosh computer using MIDI. Information on connecting can be found on
pages E-65 to E-66 of the manual. If you do not have the manual handy,
then you can download it in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format by going to the
following link:

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/WK200_500_e.pdf

Unfortunately, there is not a version of Data Manager available for
Macintosh, so you would not be able to transfer MIDI files from the
computer and store them as user songs. While the keyboard is connected
to your computer, the computer can treat it as a MIDI instrument. This
means that if you have MIDI-compliant music software on the computer,
you can use it in conjunction with the keyboard.

As an alternative, you could use an SD card reader on your computer to
store SMF (Standard MIDI File) songs on an SD card. You could then take
the card to the keyboard, and use the songs on the card as user songs.
Both the SD card and the card reader would be sold separately.

We hope that we were able to assist you with your question, and again
thank you for contacting Casio America. As a reminder we can also be
reached at 1-800-435-7732 option 6.

Sal M"

Reaction score
ok, my tourn. For more of 8 hours, I am trying to transfer my sons recorded to my apple computer from my casio WK-500. I recorded the song in a memory card sd, but I dont know how to transfer it to my computer, Casio DFata manger 6 is not working with WK-500, and the data manager for WK-500 not come in Mac format. I tryed with garage band, but , nothing work. Some ideas please.

Reaction score
ok, my tourn. For more of 8 hours, I am trying to transfer my sons recorded to my apple computer from my casio WK-500. I recorded the song in a memory card sd, but I dont know how to transfer it to my computer, Casio DFata manger 6 is not working with WK-500, and the data manager for WK-500 not come in Mac format. I tryed with garage band, but , nothing work. Some ideas please.

Look in this thread (dated from 3. Feb. 2012) the answer of srben:

As an alternative, you could use an SD card reader on your computer to
store SMF (Standard MIDI File) songs on an SD card. You could then take
the card to the keyboard, and use the songs on the card as user songs.
Both the SD card and the card reader would be sold separately.

Reaction score
Yes Goldi gave you the correct answer as always. Simply put the SD-Card in a cheap cardreader that's connected to your computer with USB. On the SDcard you will find a folder with your songs in it. Simply copy the songs to your computer.
If you download midi-songs from the Internet (by the thousands for free) you can put these back onto the SDCard. IN THE SAME FOLDER AS THE ONE YOU FOUND YOUR RECORDED SONGS IN. Put the card back in the keyboard and you can play all the midi's. However they not always sound nice as they are made on different instruments.

Ask a Question