Genos 2 Key Size

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm seriously considering purchasing a Genos 2, but can't find one anywhere in the Birmingham, AL area, so I can't visually inspect one (yet). My question is about key length. Although there is no industry standard for key sizes, the typical "full size" piano key is about 6 inches. Many keyboards shorten the key length to 5.5 inches, or less. What's the key length for the Genos 2 -- are they full size, or shorter? I can't find the answer to this anywhere in the specs or online.

Reaction score
5.5 inches. Also, narrower than standard piano width, as all non-hammer Yamaha keys are.

Boards with 6" non-hammer keys are pretty rare.

Reaction score
Genos is definitely not full width.

For 61 keys, full width (from the left of the lowest key to the right of the highest key) should be somewhere around 33 3/8", Yamahas "full-size" non-hammer actions are about an inch short of that. I'd be surprised if your 61-key Genos is an exception to that. It's a Yamaha peculiarity, it's not something you see on, say, Korg, Roland, Kurzweil, or Nord.

Reaction score
Genos is definitely not full width.

For 61 keys, full width (from the left of the lowest key to the right of the highest key) should be somewhere around 33 3/8", Yamahas "full-size" non-hammer actions are about an inch short of that. I'd be surprised if your 61-key Genos is an exception to that. It's a Yamaha peculiarity, it's not something you see on, say, Korg, Roland, Kurzweil, or Nord.
I stand corrected (well actually, I'm sitting) but yes, my Tyros2 only measures 32 1/2" across all the keys - I don't have a Genos but I was basing my statement on what I had been told some time ago regarding Yamaha's top range keyboards.

The strange thing is that I have never noticed a problem with key width on the Tyros but as soon as I play on a DGX or PSR, I definitely notice the difference right away and would never buy one for that reason. I can only assume that they use even narrower keys and so does the Medeli AKX-10, which is one of the reasons I returned mine. I currently have a Korg PA1000 and a couple of older Technics keyboards and they all measure 33 3/8".

Learning something new every day, so many thanks.

Ask a Question