Greetings from Pennsylvania (United States)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Mark, from Pennsylvania. My musical background started at age 7 when I tried out the clarinet. My uncle gave me a used clarinet he bought at a yard sale for a few bucks. I played it for about a week, and decided I didn't really like it. Then, at age 8, I got a trumpet and took trumpet lessons for 4 years. Eventually I got tired of it, and quit. I still have my trumpets though, and I can still play. I'm glad I took lessons though, because I learned to read music.

My mother has a piano (spinet/upright), and I tried to play it, but my hands were too small and weak then. My mom bought me a Casio PT-100 at a yard sale for 2 dollars, so I played around on that occasionally. The PT-100 was made in 1987, and was one of the cheapest keyboards around. It has 32 miniature keys, and a tiny speaker, with no output jack. Sounds cheap too.

I didn't really start getting serious about piano/keyboard until I was 21. I'm mostly self taught, my only formal training was a semester of Music Fundamentals, and my mother taught me a little bit too. I bought a Casio CTK-2100, which was a huge step up from the PT-100, which isn't very hard to accomplish. :p It's still a low end keyboard, with 61 keys, and no velocity sensitivity whatsoever, so it's hard to play it expressively. It has decent sounds, but nothing mind blowing. I got a Behringer K-450FX amplifier too, which is a great amp. I joined my college's jazz/rock club, and we jammed out every week, and performed in the cafeteria. We mostly played cover songs, but we wrote a couple of our own songs.

A few weeks ago, my friend sold me her Alesis QS8.1 for only $50!!!! It's a fantastic synth, and would have cost me at least $800 if bought anywhere else.

I also have a Burns B3 Theremin, which I'm learning how to play as well.

Hope that wasn't all too much to read. Hopefully I can meet some fellow keyboardists, and maybe learn some tips and tricks from you guys, and maybe share some of my own!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mark, welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've picked the right instrument with a keyboard :).

Ask a Question