Hello From VA... punk/garage/soul

Reaction score
Hello! Beginner from the 757 area (virginia beach/Norfolk). If you have answers, I have questions :) Interested in diy home recording, piano/organ tones, cheap setups, basic playing techniques, connecting with people playing within the same genres, and just generally figuring this whole keyboard playing thing out.

I play in a punk band and have a pretty broad range of influences from early '77 to 80s punk/hardcore (kbd comp style), protopunk, 60's garage psych/fuzz/surf, to those lovely organ tones in soul.

I prefer a set up without computers, and use a lot of 90s gear (cheap and works),
Right now my set up is kinda laughable, I've got a beginners Casio I found for free that has really bad tones, but hooked it up to a Peavey Spectrum and got every organ tone imaginable, and running everything through a Peavey TNT130 bass combo, $50. But Im missing a good piano tone and the keyboard itself isn't reliable for playing shows so probably be asking around about that. That's bout it. Thanks for any future advise!

Reaction score
It's a Welcome from me too Rachel :)
I am just south west of you across the pond. . . Australia. hehehe:D

Very nice intro. Love your enthusiasm. You will fit in here nicely.

Fire away!

Cheers ray

Thanks Ray from Australia ... Yuh, nothing to do with keyboards, but is the Sharpie music scene still alive out there? I don't know any Australians to ask

Reaction score
Welcome Rachel!

Ray - OMG those Sharpie videos. I was laughing so hard during the interview at the start of the first one you posted. Thanks for filling a gap in my knowledge of Australian cultural history - this forum needs a "love" button.

Wonder why that Sharpie movement never took off outside of Melbourne. It seemed to have so much going for it...yeah right.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks for liking Paul! lol:D
Back in the 70's you were either a "sharpie" or a "mod"
There was fierce rivalry between the two cultures. Sharpies were more punkish! Mods had TheBeatles style haircuts and flaired pants. . . I married a Mod! I was alway in between! lol!
ray

Ask a Question