HELP ME!!

Reaction score
Ok so I bought an SL-880 midi controller, it fully works, and I bought a USB to midi cable, and have been able to connect it to the computer, but when i go on audio programs like audacity or reaper it doesn't appear as an input device??? help :/
I have it enabled on devices :(

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know if this is relevant, but someone on another forum was having trouble with a MIDI connection not showing up on his computer and it turned out to be the version of the USB port-- 3.0 versus 2.0. I know that the owner's manuals for my Yamaha keyboards say not to use USB 3.0 cables. To be clear, the person who had this trouble had a MIDI cable connecting the keyboard to an audio interface, which was then plugged into the computer via USB. Apparently his DAWs could see the interface showing up as an audio device (for his guitar or microphone), but it wouldn't show up as a MIDI device until he switched to USB 2.0. In his post he said "USB port," so I don't know if he meant the port on the computer, or if he was referring to the USB cable running from the audio interface to the computer.

Reaction score
I tried to find a video explaining what to do but it just kept coming short of what i needed, thanks for the vid Gary, that will be really useful :)
And I think the USB cables are the correct version but i'll check that out too, thanks man :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Apparently USB 3.0 ports on a computer or other device are usually blue, and may say "USB 3.0" beside them instead of showing the usual USB symbol-- so if the port(s) on your devices aren't blue and they show the standard USB symbol then they're most likely USB 2.0.

Reaction score
IMG_0217_1_1.jpg

Here's my Dell desktop - USB 3 is on top and USB 2 underneath.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
So a USB 3.0 port isn't necessarily blue and might not be labeled "USB 3.0" (as described in the Wikipedia article I was reading). I found another picture of a blue USB 3.0 port with a standard USB symbol beside it. So in some way-- the color of the port, or the label/symbol-- it should be possible to identify whether a USB port is 2.0, 3.0 (SuperSpeed or SS), 3.1 (SuperSpeed+ or SS+), etc.

Again, I don't know if it's even relevant to the problem at hand, but it did turn out to be the culprit in another person's case.

Reaction score
Ok, I did exactly what you guys all said, it's the right usb port, i folloew the video, The midi input cable is connected to the midi output on the keyboard. its shows up on reaper but no sounds are made, this is what i bought for this stuff. http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDE-Cable-C...1421175682&sr=1-2&keywords=hde+USB+MIDI+CABLE, im starting to give up, im worried that its something internal thats causing the problem, as when i came home on the day it was delivered it was on its side, upright, when i got it into the housethe left end of it had been snapped and I now have a broken key on the end. but the power works and all the lights work aswell :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you actually have any VSTis installed yet?

If you don't know what a VSTi is google it.

Gary

Reaction score
I went on a website called vst3free, I tried to download some but when i tried to open the file it would just say application not found, doesn't it come with a vst by defult with reaper?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
its shows up on reaper but no sounds are made,

Oh, wait-- I had thought that it wasn't showing up at all. If it's showing up then it should be okay.

However, you can't actually hear a MIDI signal-- it's just data that contains instructions about which notes to play, how loudly to play them, when to play them, which "sound patches" to use when playing them, etc. When you have your MIDI keyboard assigned as the input for a track in a DAW, you also need to assign the output for the track so it will make sounds. Most DAWs come with at least a few virtual instruments if you've bought the least expensive version, or a lot more virtual instruments if you've bought the most expensive version. You can also add your own third-party VST plug-ins to a DAW. I'm not familiar with Reaper, but somehow you should be able to select one of its virtual instruments for the track(s) that the MIDI controller is assigned to, and then you should be able to hear sounds.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
when i tried to open the file it would just say application not found

I'm not certain what you mean by "open the file," but I'm guessing you mean you tried to open the VST itself. Most VST plug-ins-- be they virtual instruments or audio effects-- are usually just DLL files which can't be "opened" the way you double-click on text documents or bitmap files to open them (which doesn't actually open the files directly, rather the operating system launches some application which then opens, reads, and displays the contents of the files, or plays them if they contain audio data).

Anyway, you need to "install" the VSTs on your computer, which usually just means unzipping them from a compressed file/folder, and then putting the unzipped DLL and any accompanying files or folders (readme texts, folders with preset settings, etc.) into some folder where you keep all of your VST plug-ins-- e.g., C:\Program Files\VST Plugins, or C:\Program Files (x86)\VST Plugins, or something like that. If you've already installed some VST plug-ins that came with actual installation programs, there may already be some VST folders on your computer, otherwise you might need to create a folder yourself. After you've put the unzipped files into said folder, you simply need to let your DAW know that the VST plug-in is there-- there's usually a configuration screen where the folders you want it to look in are listed, and you can add the new VST plug-in's folder to the list if it isn't already listed.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Another suggestion might be to use the DAW's MIDI monitor or some other MIDI-monitoring utility (as far as I know, most DAWs include some sort of MIDI monitoring function). This will let you verify whether or not the DAW is at least receiving any MIDI data from the controller.

My earlier comment about needing to assign a virtual instrument to the track may have been a bit lame, because on second thought I believe that most DAWs will default to an acoustic piano sound (Bank MSB 0, Bank LSB 0, Program 0) if you don't specifically select something else-- and if the DAW comes with multiple virtual instruments, it should probably default to its "standard" instrument set if one hasn't been specifically selected. So unless the DAW doesn't come with any virtual instruments at all, you should most likely hear something even if you haven't specifically selected anything.

On the other hand, when you add a track to use with the MIDI controller, make sure it's a MIDI track rather than an audio track. You should also check which MIDI channel the track is "listening" to-- this will often default to "all channels," but if it's set to a specific channel then make sure it's the same channel that the controller is sending on.

Also, check the output setup for the track to verify that it's going to something you can hear-- e.g., the computer's internal sound card, an external sound module, etc. If you're using a keyboard that generates sounds of its own then you can send a track's output to the keyboard so the keyboard will play it. But if you're using a MIDI keyboard controller then you shouldn't direct the track's output to the controller since it can't generate any sounds of its own.

Sorry if any of that seemed extremely obvious, I'm just trying to mention some of the basics since I don't know your level of experience. When trying to help someone it's easy to neglect covering some of the key basics by assuming that they're too obvious to mention and that the person must know them already.

Ask a Question