I would like to buy an inexpensive keyboard ($300); recommendations please

Reaction score
Hello All

I am going to buy a keyboard for learning purposes and self enjoyment. I will spend up to $300. I see that Casio (and probably others) has models available that have built in song banks that show the key stokes of how the songs are played. While browsing at Sam Ash a day ago, I saw a Casio WK-200 for $300. I enjoyed playing (tinkering) with this model and I can get it a lot cheaper on the web.

So my 3 questions are:

Is it possibly to down load additional songs that I favor (I’m a Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, and Rock & Roll guy) that will show the key strokes?

For around $200 to $300, what manufacturers and model can users of this forum recommend for a beginner like me that will help me learn to play? I am somewhat aware of the beginner books available at Sam Ash and online.

What leaning features should I look for when buying a keyboard?

I am so new to this type of forum that my questions may look stupid, but I will buy with in 4 to 5 days and need advice.

Thanks to all in advance. Great to be on this forum.

Jimmy

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position, and I decided on a Casio CTK-5000, which is less than $200 (with power adapter, stand, headphones) from Amazon. I know it will do some of what you want, but just from reading the spec. It takes an SD card for storage and I think one of the things you can put on the card is midi songs (in addition to the sample songs that come with the keyboard). It has a little LCD display that gives at least a little help in recording your own midi songs -- I think it's probably pretty crude though.

This is really the blind leading the blind, isn't it? But expertise seems in pretty short supply here.

Reaction score
Yamaha or Casio

Yeah, the CTK-5000 looks like a decent starter keyboard for about $200.00 on Amazon.com. If I go with a Casio, I like the WK-500 that has 76 keys and many learning features for newbie’s like us. I found it for $250.00 via a Google search from a reputable dealer.

However; I like what I see from the Yamaha products; such as the YPG-235, DGX220, and DGX230. All three have 76 keys, are under $400.00, and have educational options that look appealing. Also, the Yamaha home page is put together very well and has software downloads for their products. I’ll probably go with a Yamaha.

There's nothing wrong with the blind helping the blind; I appreciate that you responded.

Have a great day,

Jim

Reaction score
Also, Yamaha does lots for customer support. I've downloaded some really good midi songs from their web site, which they've commissioned. They have a very active user forum. And I know the Soundfont format used for organizing banks of patch sets is based on Yamaha instrument designs. It's just that at the low end, Yamaha is a tiny bit pricey.

Reaction score
I've had a few days with my CTK-5000 now. I like it. Long ago I played piano a little, and since the CTK-5000 keyboard is not weighted, of course it does not have the same touch. But it's not all that different. For others with an urge to explore the low end of electronic keyboards, here are a few preliminary notes:

(1) The WK-500 model, mentioned above, apparently has the same electronic innards, since the summary document listing tones, rhythms, and songs is the same as for my CTK-5000.

(2) The $194 dollar deal from Amazon includes headphones which have a stereo 1/8" mini-jack, but the CTK-5000 needs a stereo 1/4" jack. So you'll need an adapter.

(3) Seeing many positive reviews of the M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedal, I got one, and it is nice. I don't think I'd like to be without a sustain pedal for the CTK-5000.

(4) If you want to connect up with a home theater receiver with RCA inputs, to get better sound than you can from the small speakers in the keyboard, you might find this connecting cable on Amazon useful: "HOSA CPR204 Dual 1/4-Inch to Dual RCA Plugs - 13.2 Feet" for $6.

Ask a Question