Korg nanoKey2: Midi channel assignment problem!

Reaction score
Hi. I use a Korg nanoKey2 as a Midi controller and want to assign it to midi channel 16. I have spent a couple of hours so far, trying to achive, what should be a simple and straighforward, one minute task. I downloaded Korg's control softare, changed the default midi channel from 1 to 16 and saved it. However, as soon as I test the controller again, using both a midi-view app and other software, it says the device is still transmitting on channel one. If any one of you midi-wizards out there can shed some light on what the hell I am doing wrong, I'd be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Are you setting and saving the global MIDI channel, or the channel used for a specific scene?

If you're setting global, maybe the channel for the default scene is overriding it?

Or if you're setting the scene's channel, maybe you aren't calling up that scene when using the controller?

Aside from those ideas, only thing I can think of is that the data isn't being saved to the device for some reason.

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGtGruff for your reply. I am setting the Global Midi Channel to 16 using the Korg Control Editor. I then save the file immediately, press a key on nanoKey2, and the Midiview app confirms it is still transmitting on Channel 1.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Okay, but be aware that the owner's guide shows there are two different operations/buttons-- Save which saves the edited global data to a file (presumably on your computer), and Write which actually transfers the edited global data to the controller. I assume you'll want to Save your edits to make them easier to load and modify as desired in the future, but you'll definitely need to Write your edits to the controller otherwise they won't take effect.

Ask a Question