Left hand chords

Reaction score
I posted this on the general keyboad thread. Probably that was a wrong thing to do. So I am posting it here again. I am quite new to keyboard. I decided to start learning myself and got a simple song book. This shows melody lines on treble clef and chords written on the top. This may be a stupid question, but I am not sure whether I am supposed to play chords with left hand. Or is it only meant for an accompanying player on guitar or another keyboard? Please help.

Reaction score
If you are just starting out, I would start by just playing the melody with the right hand and then add bass notes with the left hand. The bass notes are usually the chord root notes. Finaly, add the rest of the chord under the melody in the right hand.

The point of lead sheets (what you've got there) is that is possible for essentially an entire band to play off the same sheet. A singer or other lead instrument would play the melody, piano and guitar would play the chords and bass would play a bassline derived from the chords. Since everything is one one sheet, it is possible to modify what is played depending on available instruments.

Out of interest, what book do you have?

Reaction score
If you are just starting out, I would start by just playing the melody with the right hand and then add bass notes with the left hand. The bass notes are usually the chord root notes. Finaly, add the rest of the chord under the melody in the right hand.

The point of lead sheets (what you've got there) is that is possible for essentially an entire band to play off the same sheet. A singer or other lead instrument would play the melody, piano and guitar would play the chords and bass would play a bassline derived from the chords. Since everything is one one sheet, it is possible to modify what is played depending on available instruments.

Out of interest, what book do you have?
Thanks.. The book is called Let's play... Easiest Keyboard Collection KARAOKE.

So if the accompanying chord is for e.g. F, do you recommend just playing the F note on the bass clef?

Ask a Question