program changes to keyboards... for quick live settings...

Reaction score
hey everybody... I'm new here and trying to help a friend...

he needs to change stage settings quickly without doing 20 button pushes... his main keyboard is a Yamaha Motif 8, and secondary keyboard is a Korg Triton LE... he is not a MIDI guy and has been doing his settings manually... he has access to a Windows laptop (probably WinXP) and an older version iPad... I'm assuming that using Control #s 000 and 032, then the program change would get the job done for each keyboard... would he need to use a sequence program to do that with the laptop and additionally, is there an app for the iPad that would do the job...?

I'm an old guy... when I had this issue years ago, I used a Yamaha MEP4 to set keyboards and external FX units... I'm guessing that it would work for this if I can find one... of course, he'd like to spend as little expense as possible...

I scanned over the Motif 8's manual and saw no way to send bank and program changes as presets were chosen on the keyboard...

I'm sure several of you have dealt with this issue before and I'm thinking that y`all might have newer and better ways than what I have outlined here... any help is appreciated...

Reaction score
If one of the keyboards has 'registration memory' in banks you should be able to do a complete setup for each song. To change to the next complete setup you just push one button. BTW I am not familiar with the mentioned keyboards.
Complete setups for songs can usually also be stored on a USB-stick, hard drive or floppy-disk, whatever is available onboard the keyboards.

Reaction score
thanks for the responses... I've been through the Yamaha Motif 8 manual and could find nothing addressing 'registration memory'... I still need to go through the manual for the Korg Triton LE... (I was hoping that one hardware keyboard could do bank/pgm chgs for the other... actually, the Triton is the secondary keyboard in his set up, so that would be the best case if the Triton can send...)

the link for the 'Midi Touch' is very interesting... there were complaints that the developer was not supporting the software, but only needing bank & pgm chgs, that might not be an issue... the latest I saw is that the app costs $19.95, and I assume there is a hardware interface needed from the camera out jack on the iPad to convert to Midi...

I'll do some more research, thanks...

Reaction score
You'll need a "camera connection kit" from Apple to convert the proprietary Apple connector on the iPad to a standard USB port, then a "Class Compliant" USB-MIDI interface (ie one which needs no software installed on a Windows PC) to convert the USB to a MIDI connection.
The cheap chinese-made USB-MIDI connectors on ebay are more likely to work than the expensive, branded ones, but if you Google you should be able to find someone that has had success and recommend a particular model.

I did some research on the MIDI Touch softwaare a few months ago, but I haven't bought an iPad yet, so there may be better apps available. Let us know what you get, and how it works out.

Reaction score
another related question... the Yamaha Motif 8 has a USB input... can I connect directly from the camera connection/USB interface to the Motif 8 and then use the midi thru to send bank/pgm chgs to the Korg Triton LE, all with the Midi Touch app...? a best guess would help...

Reaction score
Almost certainly not. If the keyboard requires a USB-MIDI driver to be installed in Windows (and the MOTIF8 does), then it's almost certainly not "class compliant", and if it's not class compliant it won't work directly connected to the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

Reaction score
gotcha... understood... class compliant interfaces are pretty cheap... thanks...

I still would like to get, say, the Trident to set bank/pgm chgs to the Motif... I need to ask my friend how many patches he actually uses on the Korg (since that's his secondary keyboard)... both keyboards are DAWs... you'd think there'd be a way for one of them to control setups, especially in a set up that only has 2 hardware units...

thanks for your help...

Ask a Question