Roland AX-Synth : How much does it cost now ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone !
I'm from France, and I just realized that the keytar Roland AX-Synth is nowhere to be found on official seller's websites and can be rarely seen in ebay.

ax_synth_top_gal.jpg

Does that mean this keyboard is rare ? if it is, how can I find the best price to sell it ?
I've seen people selling it from 900$ to 2000$, but nothing really precise, and I don't know if they are legit prices.

I actually own one which was almost never used, and I don't plan to use it in the future, do you think it's a good deal to sell it online ?

Thanks for your replies

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you want to sell something and aren't sure what to charge, the best answer is probably "whatever someone is willing to pay." :)

If the item in question is still readily available brand new in the marketplace, then I wouldn't try to sell it used for the same price as if it were brand new from a store, since anyone who wanted to buy it could easily spend the same amount of money as you're asking (except maybe for sales tax) by going to a store and buying a new one. In that case you might look to see how much stores are charging for the same item when it's an "open box" or "returned" item, although the condition of the item is also a factor. Is everything working perfectly or not? Are there scratches or other blemishes? Are there any extra accessories thrown in?

If the item in question is no longer available brand new but is still readily available used, then you can look at how much people are asking for it. As you've discovered, the asking price might vary dramatically, and in some cases the asking price might be completely unreasonable-- e.g., I've seen keyboards that originally sold for $100 being offered for sale used for $200 or more, even though follow-up models having more voices, styles, and functions are readily available for $100 or less. So an important factor in helping you set your asking price-- in addition to the condition of your item-- would be whether or not the manufacturer still has follow-up models for sale in the marketplace, and whether the follow-up models are considered to be better or worse than the older model you're wwanting to sell.

But getting back to the idea of "whatever someone is willing to pay," you should ask yourself what is the lowest price you're willing to accept, as well as what is the best price you would ideally like to get. You might also try to put yourself in the shoes of the potential buyer-- i.e., what price would you be willing to pay for the item if it were used and in the condition that it is? Then set your asking price at your "best ideal price," or maybe a bit above that price, as long as it isn't way over the price you yourself would be willing to pay, with the understanding that some amount of haggling might take place as a potential buyer tries to talk you down to a lower price.

The thing is, you don't want your original asking price to be so high that it drives away potential buyers, but you also don't want it to be so low that you're just screwing yourself. I don't know how rare or coveted the Roland AX-Synth is, but it's difficult to know what some "crazy rich collector" might be willing to pay for something.

Another question is, how anxious are you to sell the item? Are you looking for a quick sale because you need the money as soon as possible, or are you content to set a higher price andwait for as long as it takes for someone to finally make you an offer?

Sorry if I haven't given you any solid answers, but hopefully I've raised at least one consideration that you hadn't already thought of yourself. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I just had a look on eBay, and at first glance it appears that the listings which are ridiculously(?) high are from Asia. So if you're going to look at eBay listings to try to get a feel for what your asking price should be, you might want to factor in the locations of the sellers, in case their asking prices are influenced by things such as currency exchange rates, packaging and shipping costs, and import/export fees or tariffs.

Reaction score
I just had a look on eBay, and at first glance it appears that the listings which are ridiculously(?) high are from Asia. So if you're going to look at eBay listings to try to get a feel for what your asking price should be, you might want to factor in the locations of the sellers, in case their asking prices are influenced by things such as currency exchange rates, packaging and shipping costs, and import/export fees or tariffs.

Thank you for your response ! I will take every parameter into account !
The item is no longer available brand new, that's why I think it has value, I even saw people selling it for more than 20 000 $ on Facebook, that makes no sense !

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's one of the problems with trying to set your asking price by averaging together other people's asking prices, because some people are going to have outrageously high asking prices. I remember when the Google Chromecast first came out-- it was available in very limited quantities and quickly sold out, so people who had bought some were reselling them for thousands of dollars, which was just sickening. And I once saw an eBay listing for an old goat cart that was literally falling apart-- pure trash-- and yet the person wanted thousands of dollars for it because it was (according to them) an "antique."

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Put it up for Auction on ebay for 10 days. Make your starting price a figure that you will be happy with.
Start with a low price to attract buyers but a price that you would be happy with if you get only ONE bid.
If the item is rare and/or collectible and/or desirable then you will get many hits and the bidding will soon reveal its true value.
Best of luck.
Ray

Reaction score
The only problem with the eBay auction approach is that if you get watchers and no realistic bids the watchers will only surface in the last few minutes to start bidding in the hope of grabbing a bargain.

Remember if you have to set a reserve it may sell very low.

Also you cannot cancel an auction within 24 hours of the finish time.

Currently a few on eBay as Buy it Now items for less than $2000

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Biggles, you are absolutely right! However, the OP just wants to sell it so if the watchers/buyers are so savy and leave bidding till the last minute then that is still okay because any bid would be a benefit since the orginal asking price is set. And if only one bid at the very last second then the seller should be happy with that.

Vinoyay, Some points to consider (if not familiar with ebay)
1. Put up your item for auction on a thursday or friday for 10 days. This takes in two weekends . . most traffic is on weekends.
2. Be aware that ebay and paypal combined will take about 10% of your sale. Cover yourself for this.
3. You can also combine Auction and Buy it Now. eg Auction price start at $200 Buy it now for $1000.00 (just an example) But if bidding starts then the "Buy it Now" option will cease.
4. Also when setting up your sale page, click on the button to automatically re-list if not sold. You can do this for 3 more listings giving you another 10 days x 3 for Free! After this if no interest then start over and lower your price.
cheers
Ray

Ask a Question