Synth - need help with programming

Reaction score
There is one sound i would really like in my setup, from Roland JD-800, called Wailing Guitar, I have just gotten into the world of programming my own sounds, but they aren't too great. For programming i use Synth1, but have several other options available. I was wondering if anyone in here could help me out?

Wailing Guitar:

Or something like this:

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
That sounds seems based on feedback, where a tone is rechannelled back into the loop endlessly.

Some manufacturers have called Regen, Feedback, Foldback. It 's also similar to what has been called Sync.

Now, whatever roland called it (I can't remember), there should be a parameter to increase it on your keyboard. The video sounds like this effect is set to max or near max.

Also, it sounds like the basis of the tone was sawtooth waves with the filter wide open and a fair amount of resonance.

Also, on some boards, resonance alone may be enough to cause the effect you're hearing (Arps come to mind).

Good luck!

Reaction score
I once watched Jan Hammer on Rock School who basically said you can get that sort of effect from nigh on any sound with a sharp attack and release,and use of fuzz effects. I'm sure there are particular sounds suited to it (fuzz guitar presets?) and that some keys (recently certain keytars) have that built in,but experiment with floor pedals if you don't need to be 'keys only'.

Sounds like Jan is using some sort of Wah/Fuzz at 1.50 here:

Last edited:

Ask a Question