Uncomfortable performance moments

Reaction score
During a Royal Conservatory examination, I was playing my long piece and was coming to the end of the second section which had a difficult transition to the third, I looked for my place in the music and after some moments of confusion realized that I had played the entire second movement of a different piece from memory ... in a different key; I fuddled a few bars then picked up the last 4 and soldiered on. My music teacher was apoplectic however my examiner merely commented that my interpretation was 'refreshing' and I passed.
I think I developed an allergy to 'House of the Rising Sun' as one time during a performance I completely blanked in the organ solo which is basically just a reiteration of the chord progression - I literally could not remember what to play! It was many years before I could play that number without feeling queasy. To this day I would rather not play it using an organ voice.
During a performance in a stage band I had to lead into a keyboard driven musical number and nothing happened. Fortunately, it was a comedy so my frantic search for a possibly detached cable got some laughs. Almost at the end I discovered that a performer had bumped into my amp which was tucked away behind part of the set and managed to hit the power switch.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Nice story Gerald. I like this topic. I think some people here could have some tales to tell. I hope so.
I myself do not perform to anyone else but myself. But I always lose my place playing. Sometimes the mind is wandering and the hands are doing their own thng lol.
Ray

Reaction score
All of the below have happened to me live in front of paying punters over the last 25 years:

1. I started a song in the wrong key. Guitarist comes in. I look at him angrily as he's clearly flat. He looks at me angrily. as he had every right to! Had to restart the song. Twice!!

2. Completely blanked on a song I've played probably 200 times. Piano solo intro. Don't know what I played but it bore no resemblance to the tune in question before I eventually locked back in. Much mirth among band mates.

3. Forgot a John Lord organ solo, had to make the whole thing up on the fly. Didn't sound much like John Lord.

4. Didn't check a sustain pedal's polarity at sound check. Interesting results ensued.

But that's live music for you! I could tell plenty of stories about band mates' flubs too.

What never ceases to amaze me is how little of one's errors an audience notices if you handle the situation with a smile, good grace and minimal panic.

Reaction score
There are only so many times you can play the same line of a song before you realise you are having a Groundhog moment ........ with me its three times.

Ask a Question