1000s factory reset

Reaction score
How do you do a factory reset on the Roland HP 1000SL? I can't find anything on the internet about this model

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately there is no display panel on the 1000sl. It's a late eighties/early nineties model. It's very frustrating that even on the Roland factory resets lists of their instruments that this model is absent. I wonder if it's even possible to do a reset.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Does it have an internal battery?

If not and it doesn't save any settings then maybe it's a simple power off to reset.

Why are you looking to reset it?

Reaction score
I've powered it off and on numerous times, still no joy. I've eliminated all mechanical options. The contacts are all good. I've changed the rubber contact strips around to see if that's where the problem lies. But it's still the same four notes that won't function. I was convinced it's an issue with the circuitry until someone suggested I should do a factory reset as that can often solve problems. It all seemed straightforward until I came up against the brick wall of no instructions as to how to do that. Any further suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Look for a blown diode in the switching matrix or a dirty or loose ribbon connector or corrosion or a cold solder joint in the matrix.

It's screwdriver and soldering iron time.

Reaction score
Open up the unit, desolder the battery. Let it sit for 5 mjnutes then resolder the battery, the unit should reset itself since the user data will be lost when the battery is disconnected.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's that old and Roland it may wipe out the system eeprom as well.

Make sure you have a full system backup for that vintage just in case.

Otherwise you'll have a lovely boat anchor :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And missing keys sounds nothing like a software problem.

Much more likely the keyboard switching matrix has an open line.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And remove the header connectors and clean them with deoxit. At that age oxidation can be a problem.

Ask a Question