1st Stage Gig in 41 Years!!! (with a Hammond SK Pro 73)

Reaction score
Like many here (or so I've read), after graduating from college, getting married and starting a family and "real" career, I got away from -- yes, perhaps "too far away from" (in hindsight...) -- live music and performing with rock bands until the last few years when I picked it up again and invested in newer -- and much lighter! -- equipment. Sure, I occasionally jammed with friends or other musicians, but nothing like what I did the other night.

Having the desire to "get back out there again", I linked up with a local non-profit "School of Rock" type program and joined an adult rock band with two others, a guitarist and a drummer. We didn't have a bass player or vocalist sign up, so our instructor played bass for us (you can see him in the shadows of one image), and by default I sang lead vocals -- and I haven't sung much over the last 40+ years either! (And it showed on week 1, but I sure did a lot of vocal exercises and singing over the last 9 weeks.) For only playing together as a band that many times (9), our band "Perfect Strangers" closed out the school's annual fundraising concert with a 4-song set and we were treated to a professional stage, sound system and lighting. Neither of the other 2 band members had ever played such a large venue before, or even with a formal band (other than just their informal jams); and it's been 4 decades plus for me since my UMass days when I played out a lot, so this event and the school-of-rock program turned out to be the perfect way to get back into it -- and now... I WANT MORE. 😊

Anyway, my Hammond SK Pro 73 sounded awesome and easily handled a wide variety of voices, such as: Churchy Hammond for Bach's "Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor" intro that I connected to Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" intro with a heavily-overdriven Hammond tone -- as that seemed to be a great way to introduce the band -- as Perfect Strangers was our name. From there we morphed into Collective Soul's "Gel" and a guitar & synth patch combination did the soft intro, plus I played overdriven Hammond chords while the guitarist did his solo. Sounds for ELP's "Lucky Man" included strings (as background on verses & choruses 2-4) along with a soft Hammond tone on verses & choruses 3 & 4, plus an organ solo we put in after the 3rd verse/chorus to lengthen the song, and man oh man -- the synthesizer on the SK Pro did a really great job emulating Keith's Moog synth solo! I put it into "unison" mode and dialed in 6 voices, with a slight detune and some delay & reverb, adjusted the ASDR and filters by ear, and then added in some ring modulation as the synth solo ended. Wowza! Then it was a Vox Continental organ tone used for The Doors "Light My Fire", followed by Hammond organ (88886) on verse/chorus plus an overdriven version of that drawbar setting for the main riff to finish our set with Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water".

At the end of the gig, I got a lot of questions and great feedback on the SK Pro and I think I might have helped to sell a board or two, as the younger kids and parents there couldn't believe all the sounds that I had coaxed out of it. Plus, I think I rocked it too. 😉 For sure, the Hammond did much better than my vocal chords did -- but it was all for a good cause, we had fun, the band did great considering all factors, and the audience enjoyed the show.

I think the best part -- besides being up on stage and turning my Hammond into "The Beast" (as they used to call Jon Lord's organ for his intro to "PS") -- is that my wife & kids, and other friends and family all got to see "this 'ol man rock" just like he used to tell stories about.

And now I want MORE!!! The "beast" has been unleashed!!!

Cheers!

Old No7

(Dang! I can't add either .mov or .mp4 files...)

Attachments

• Perfect Strangers 02b.jpg
    Perfect Strangers 02b.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Perfect Strangers 12.jpeg
    Perfect Strangers 12.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Gary -- let's see if this works... I'm attaching:

Organ Intro
(mashup of Bach's "Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor" with a heavily-overdriven Hammond for Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers"

Organ Solo
(at the end of Smoke On The Water)

Old No7

(The small weight pulled from my pocket did not hold down the low D... I'd used a belt tool/knife at home, but didn't dare bring that to the venue!)

(The guitarist and drummer both missed the change after last riff ("one more time") but we recovered, and it was their first gig ever)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I like the sound of the Hammond.
It packs a power. To see and hear it loud out front is a thrill.
Looks like you have some playing style there as well @Old No7
Reading your post above and watching the snippets of two tunes gave me a good feeling. I genuinely approve the songs listed in your set.
I would love to hear your version of "lucky man"
Well done!
R

Ask a Question