Axiom 49 1st gen vs 2nd gen vs

Reaction score
Hello People
Help needed on buying a 2nd hand Midi Contoller

What is the best choice between?:

Axiom 49 2nd generation or Novation Impulse 61 at the same price
or the Axiom 49 1st generation at 60% of the price of the 2 first ones?

The midi contoler will be used mainly with one Ipad pro outside home but may be used with windows at home.

Thanks for any help.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Generally speaking, a newer version would probably be preferable to an older version, because it's expected that the manufacturer is fixing any issues and introducing improvements and (hopefully) additional features from one version to the next. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case, because new issues might accidentally be introduced, or the manufacturer might switch to using cheaper parts in order to reduce manufacturing costs, or less sturdy parts in order to reduce the product's weight.

I'm not familiar with the specific differences between Axiom v1 and Axiom v2 models, but I have an Axiom 61-II (v2 or 2nd generation) and am happy with it. Unless there were significant fixes and improvements from v1 to v2, the v1 should be a good choice-- although one thing to keep in mind is that both the v1 and v2 are old, so both will be used, in which case it could be tricky knowing which one has been "used and abused" the longest, and which one's owner was the most diligent about taking good care of it.

Aside from age and features, another consideration is the number of keys. Normally you'd want to get the greatest number of keys that you can afford-- 88 being the ideal number-- but this also depends on how much space you have for setting up the keyboard, and how portable you want it to be. I haven't done an item-by-item spec comparison, but I think the Axiom and the Impulse have comparable features and capabilities as far as pads, sliders, buttons, knobs, wheels, aftertouch, etc.

So my own preference would probably be to get the Novation Impulse 61 if space and portability isn't an issue, simply because it has 61 keys. But I'd probably get the Axiom 49 v1 if I were looking for something a little smaller, simply because it has a lower price. But either way, I'd want to be able to check out each one before deciding, to see what kind of condition it's in.

Reaction score
I did try out a pair of Novations ( Impulse and Launchkey ) before I choose the Arturia which only beat the Novations due to included software and the fact that the Impulse was more than I wanted to pay.

The M Audio Axiom, well it is not one I tried hence cannot offer any judgement call on it but they do offer a wide range of controllers from cheap plastic ones to top quality hammer action. I discounted the M Audio kit within my £150-£200 budget range.

That said the Novation Impulse is an excellent product and even the cut down Launchkey is a good vfm workhorse.

I would also buy a Novation over the M Audio.

Reaction score
Thank you SeaGtGruff for your help.

About using one of those midi keyboards with Ipad Pro, any idea on witch will be best?!

Maybe there are some issues about using them with IPad (using only the midi port or having to use also a DC power?)
Aboute taking advantage of full capacity of the midi controler: sliders, knobs, pads, and so on.

Regards
Rui

Reaction score
Thank you Biggles
It seems Novation may be the best equipment because it is a more recent equipment but seems very similar to the M-Audio Axiom
I just don´t understand why M-Audio stop producing both the Axiom 49 and 61, both seem very complete and the 25 is very "short".

About Using the Novation with Ipad Pro, any thouths?!?!

Regards
Rui

Reaction score
Using a MIDI keyboard with an iPad is initially what I was going to use it for so with a mix of Apps on my iPad I took it to a couple of music stores to try it with various MIDI keyboards.

The Novation I tried with the iPad was the Launchkey version which certainly worked very well. The Impulse was one that I tried in another music shop and this was already connected up to a PC in the store, both were good but the Impulse was a leap in quality regarding the build and feel.

One thing to take note of is that you may need to feed the MIDI keyboard to the iPad via a powered USB hub and if you are using the combination for any length of time then the iPad Camera Adapter would need to be of the type that also has a power socket.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think the Axiom line may have been replaced by the Code line, with the exception of the Axiom AIR Mini 32. The Axiom models were more expensive and better built than the Keystation models, and also had more controls-- pads, buttons, knobs, and sliders. The Oxygen models appear to have a selection of controls comparable to the Axiom models, but I think the Oxygen models might be less expensive, although I haven't checked prices. The new Code models are more of a top-end line, just as the Axiom line was considered to be, although the Code models have more controls than the Axiom models do/did.

Ask a Question