A cool way to practice

Reaction score
Last night I found a cool way to practice. I listened to an Ambient online station (I think it was psychedelic.com) and played along. Ambient music is very repetitive so I was able to identify a nice riff and figure out how to play it, and then play along. It was great practice for playing by ear as well as two-handed riffs (usually the bass line in ambient is especially repetitive.) Plus it was something different, which was a challenge.

Reaction score
That sounds great - I might have to try that! Normally if I'm playing along, it'll be to something more mainstream and the song will be finishing as I'm getting the hang of it. I wouldn't have thought of using ambient - thanks!

Reaction score
That sounds great - I might have to try that! Normally if I'm playing along, it'll be to something more mainstream and the song will be finishing as I'm getting the hang of it. I wouldn't have thought of using ambient - thanks!

Glad a newby could come up w/ a good method! For me, I have a short attention span, so I really have to vary things to keep myself interested & motivated.

The station I mentioned is called psychedelik.com with a K. But there are lots of ambient stations on shoutcast.com .

Reaction score
Glad a newby could come up w/ a good method! For me, I have a short attention span, so I really have to vary things to keep myself interested & motivated.

The station I mentioned is called psychedelik.com with a K. But there are lots of ambient stations on shoutcast.com .

It's much appreciated! I'm the opposite with practice - I get so focussed on a piece that my normal playing suffers. I miss out on general playing skills.

Ask a Question