Advise please

Reaction score
I have a Roland RD-300GX and play for my own amusement. I have and the Roland RD-700 SX, Yamaha S90, and Alesis QS8.

Most important are the piano and harpsichord sounds and the ability to add layers and change patches seamlessly. I do layer on strings, vocals, and pads from time to time. Unfortunately the RD-300GX only supports two layers at any one time, making me regret trading down from the 700. I occasionally play with small ensembles; classical and popular music.

I would like to have a keyboard that allows more layers, with the ability to change them on the fly depending on my mood at the time. I would also like something that includes the ability to record, and add layers with each recording. Weighted keys are a must. The Roland allows for easy layering, just press two buttons and go. Looking at the layout of other keyboards it doesn't seem so intuitive or easy, and looks like I have to create and save a program for each layer combination I want.

I'm looking at the Kurzweil Forte and Roland RD-2000, but don't want to spend a ton of money unless needed. Also the Roland seems to be getting poor reviews as the result of some type of issue with loud keypops during play.

Given that my requirements are few, what might you suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't see an RD-200 on the web, and the RD-2000 is indeed rather pricey, so I'm guessing you meant to say the RD-2000?

I haven't done any comparison lists between different brands and models of digital/stage pianos, but I'm under the impression that most of them have a limited number of zones as compared to arrangers and synths. If you're happy with Roland, maybe the JUNO-DS88 would be a possibility, if its key action and piano/harpsichord sounds are acceptable to you?

Reaction score
DS88 is good for managing splits and layers on the fly and is good at changing patches seamlessly, but does not have a workstation-style sequencer (which I think is what is meant by "includes the ability to record, and add layers with each recording" i.e. overdubbing). Almost every board I can think of is missing one piece of the puzzle (workstation style sequencer, good a doing splits/layers on the fly, seamless patch changing). I think Kurzweil might be the best bet. They've announced a PC4 which would probably work here, at less cost than the Forte.

Reaction score
Michael,

I did mean the RD-2000. Thank you for the catch and feedback.

I see that you are a moderator, so I'll ask this. Is it possible to edit a post once submitted?

Again, thank you.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Moderators can edit posts, but there's a time factor regarding members editing their posts, and I'm not sure how long that is. If you can still edit a post, there should be an "Edit" option clearly visible to you at the bottom of the post. I'll edit this one for you.

Reaction score
The Roland Juno DS 88 and the Korg Kross 2 88 could potential fulfil part of your requirements.

I do not know the Roland well enough but Happyrat (Gary) has one and he will no doubt be along to advise further.

The Kross 2 is what I have and with both the 61 and the 88 key version, you have you can create what Korg calls a Combi with a single touch. I can add many layers of Programs (instrument sounds) to give the overall voicing that I want.

The rub, is that turning layers on and off on the fly that you desire and this may be more problematic with these keyboard.

I do not know enough about other workstations like the Korg Krome or Roland FA08 to comment other than to suggest that you could include these in your research.

The Kursweil PC4 that Scott suggests does look to have the potential with nine programmable knobs and sliders where if the each slider could be assigned to a track your problem could be solved. Well worth including in further research.

Reaction score
This gets back to what I said, "Almost every board I can think of is missing one piece of the puzzle (workstation style sequencer, good at doing splits/layers on the fly, seamless patch changing)". Kross/Krome are strong on the first, weak-to-non-existent on the others. Pretty much the exact opposite of the Juno DS in this respect.

Ask a Question