ALESIS SR18 MIDI ISSUES

Reaction score
Hi all, this machine has midi issues I am certain. On reading other posts in several forums, it looks like it is not just me with the problem. After setting up the midi in section, as in, clock on, midi channel set as required, it simply goes it's own way as far as the clock input goes. Sometimes it appears to follow the ''leader'' so to speak, other times it just plays it's own timing. I am about ready to get rid of it and replace it with a Dr 770 or something. At times, it appears to depend on what drum kit is selected, and whatever pattern it was last set to. The manual is so light on information regarding the midi setup, but it should just be pretty basic, set clock on, midi channel to whatever, and that should be it, but it is a pain. Hope someone may have a clue before it goes out the door.

Reaction score
Hi all, this machine has midi issues I am certain. On reading other posts in several forums, it looks like it is not just me with the problem. After setting up the midi in section, as in, clock on, midi channel set as required, it simply goes it's own way as far as the clock input goes. Sometimes it appears to follow the ''leader'' so to speak, other times it just plays it's own timing. I am about ready to get rid of it and replace it with a Dr 770 or something. At times, it appears to depend on what drum kit is selected, and whatever pattern it was last set to. The manual is so light on information regarding the midi setup, but it should just be pretty basic, set clock on, midi channel to whatever, and that should be it, but it is a pain. Hope someone may have a clue before it goes out the door.
May have solved this issue. I use it via a usb to din midi converter, and if I power that device up after the keyboards, the clock timing is ok, if I have its power supply on as I switch the keyboards on, the clock is all over the place. Will try this procedure and see how it goes for a while, seems to have solved the problem.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a weird problem, so thank you for posting the solution!

Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a weird problem, so thank you for posting the solution!
Just to add to the confusion, I get better results with the midi clock in switched off. To me, that is wrong. Switch it on and the timing goes all over the place. Strange.

Reaction score
Even though it's been quite a while since this thread started..... I want to tell everybody that my Alesis SR-18 works beautifully in slave mode..... I have never experienced the problem described here

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use an Alesis SR-18 plugged thru an M-Audio MIDISport 4X4 USB to MIDI adapter and experience no such problems. However if you are driving it from a sequencer it makes sense to set the MIDI clock to Slave instead of Master.

However, if you're using one of those Cheapo Chinese $5 USB MIDI adapters I would put any weird timing issues on the table for closer inspection.

Those things have a very sporadic success rate on a good day.

Sorry to say I don't know why I missed this thread the first time around.

It may have been while I was formatting and installing a new computer in my main workstation.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question