Alternatives to the i-UX1 and UD-BT01 for the P-series?

Reaction score
Could a generic Apple ipod camera connection kit be used in place of the i-UX1 USB-MIDI kit for the P-Series? What about a generic bluetooth adapter instead of Yamaha's own UD-BT01? I want to use the Smart Piano app, but so far have no affordable way of doing so with my P-85.

As it is, the i-UX1 only has the old 30-pin iphone end (my iPod pro has a Lightening end).

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Could a generic Apple ipod camera connection kit be used in place of the i-UX1 USB-MIDI kit for the P-Series?

Yes, the Apple Camera Connection Kit is what I use to connect my Yamaha keyboards to my iPad via USB-MIDI. But be sure you get the correct one. Older iPad models had a 30-pin connector and used the older "Camera Connection Kit"-- which can be hard to find, since it was discontinued a few years ago. But newer iPad models have a Lightning connector and use the newer "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter," which is readily available in most Apple stores.

Beware that some Apple Store salespeople might not be familiar with connecting USB-MIDI keyboards to an iPad, and might suggest that you could possibly just plug the USB connector on your iPad's charger cable into the keyboard. But you absolutely need either the "Camera Connection Kit" (for an older iPad) or the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" (for a newer iPad). You need to plug the squarish-shaped end of a USB cable into the back of the keyboard, and plug the flattened-rectangular end into the iPad's adapter.

What about a generic bluetooth adapter instead of Yamaha's own UD-BT01? I want to use the Smart Piano app, but so far have no affordable way of doing so with my P-85.

I haven't tried using a Bluetooth connection yet, so I can't answer that. However, I've heard that Bluetooth can be unreliable as far as the quality and stability of the connection, although that might not be a concern as long as your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch isn't too far away from the keyboard and its adapter. If your iOS device is propped up on your keyboard's music rest or whatever, then the signal should be fine.

As it is, the i-UX1 only has the old 30-pin iphone end (my iPod pro has a Lightening end).

In that case, make sure you get the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter," not the old "Camera Connection Kit."

Reaction score
Just to add to Michael’s suggestion and the Lightning to Camera Adaptor.

Do make sure you buy yours from Apple directly and not from som eBay or Amazon rip-off vendor.

Also there are two types available, one with just a USB socket and another with a USB socket and a Lightning socket, I suggest you go for the latter as you can then plug in the charger to power the iPad whilst playing or composing for a long duration.

Reaction score
Yes, the Apple Camera Connection Kit is what I use to connect my Yamaha keyboards to my iPad via USB-MIDI. But be sure you get the correct one. Older iPad models had a 30-pin connector and used the older "Camera Connection Kit"-- which can be hard to find, since it was discontinued a few years ago. But newer iPad models have a Lightning connector and use the newer "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter," which is readily available in most Apple stores.

Beware that some Apple Store salespeople might not be familiar with connecting USB-MIDI keyboards to an iPad, and might suggest that you could possibly just plug the USB connector on your iPad's charger cable into the keyboard. But you absolutely need either the "Camera Connection Kit" (for an older iPad) or the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" (for a newer iPad). You need to plug the squarish-shaped end of a USB cable into the back of the keyboard, and plug the flattened-rectangular end into the iPad's adapter.

I haven't tried using a Bluetooth connection yet, so I can't answer that. However, I've heard that Bluetooth can be unreliable as far as the quality and stability of the connection, although that might not be a concern as long as your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch isn't too far away from the keyboard and its adapter. If your iOS device is propped up on your keyboard's music rest or whatever, then the signal should be fine.

In that case, make sure you get the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter," not the old "Camera Connection Kit."
Just to confirm Are you using the Lightning to USB camera adapter or the old 30-pin to USB camera adapter? I'm reading some comments on Apple forums that the lightning to USB adapter has compatibility issues with various devices due to current mismatch and just wanted to make sure that another Yamaha keyboard user has had success with that particular adapter.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I have an old iPad 2 with which I use the 30-pin Camera Connection Kit adapter.

I also have a new iPad 5 for which I bought the Lightning adapter, but I haven't tried it with any of my Yamaha keyboards yet. I'll try it with them and see whether any of them have a problem connecting.

In case it turns out to be relevant, I might add that the Lightning adapter I bought is the one without the additional connection for plugging in the power charger at the same time.

Reaction score
SeaGtGruff, were you able to get your iPad 5 to work with your Yamaha via the Lightning adapter?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
So far I have tested only my PSR-EW400, and only with the Yamaha MusicSoft Manager app, but my iPad 5 has no problem connecting to and recognizing my PSR-EW400 using the Lightning To USB Camera Adapter-- I'm able to transfer files between my PSR-EW400 and my iPad 5 with no trouble at all.

I might add that my iPad 5 is updated to the latest version of iOS-- which I think is iOS 12.1?

Also, I'm using a USB 2.0 cable. Some Yamaha keyboards can use USB 3 connections (cables and flash drives). But the manuals for many Yamaha keyboards specifically state that only USB 2 connections can be used. If you have a model that requires a USB 2 connection but your computer device has only USB 3 ports, just be sure to use a USB 2 cable to connect to your device's USB 3 port and hopefully it won't be an issue.

EDIT: I also have a PSR-E443, PSR-E433, YPT-400, and MX49BK, but I haven't checked them with my iPad 5 yet. And when I was buying doo-dads for my new iPad 5 I decided to get a Lightning To 30-Pin Adapter in addition to the Lightning To USB Camera Adapter, my idea being that I might be able to get by with plugging my old 30-pin Camera Connection Kit into the Lightning To 30-Pin Adapter if it were to ever become necessary-- but I haven't tested that yet, either.

Last edited:

Ask a Question