Alternatives to Software Based Synths for Live

Reaction score
I currently am playing live with a Nord Stage 3 Compact and a Kurzweil 88 key Artis. I would like to add some more sounds for additional layering and effect texturing. Back in the old days, we'd use modules. Now everything is software based. The modules I see nowadays seem more tabletop kind for home studios. I don't want to use a laptop for live gigs. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

I'm using iMidiPatchBay on my iPad to control all my settings as far as program changes; and keyboard zones / masters.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use hardware layering as well in my studio.

One idea that's not going to break the bank is the Behringer Deepmind 12D Desktop Module.

I own a Deepmind 6 the smaller brother keyboard version of it.

It has 1000 preset slots all nicely populated at the factory,

Another module I use is a Waldorf Blofeld Desktop.

Getting a little long in the tooth but the wavetable synthesis holds up well with age.

Both have limited, two voice multi timbrality.

Between those two, and the Nord and the Artis you'll pretty much have every imaginable sound covered.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks. Wondering if anyone's used those Roland Boutique modules live? Small footprint or rack mountable is key.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem with the Yamaha and Roland boutique synths is that they skimped on the MIDI implementation and polyphony.

They can really limit you and let you down in a production environment.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question