Anyone have a Yamaha MOX8? Trying to record with it...

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and also posted this to the Yamaha section, so please forgive the cross-posting, but here's my question:

I have a new Yamaha MOX8, which I purchased largely to do some recording and layering of basic tracks. I'm pretty good with technology, but I've been having a difficult time trying to figure out how to record simple, single keyboard tracks on it. I know this sounds dated, but I used to have a 4-track that I'd use to record several tracks, one at a time. That's basically what I'd like to be able to do with this workstation. Eventually, I'd also like to hook up a mic and record some acoustic guitar to layer with some of the piano tracks. I've read the manual many times and can't seem to figure out how to do this simple task. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, I'm not a yamaha guy, but I just took a quick skim of the manual.

Basically your onboard recording capabilities are limited to MIDI data in the form of an onboard MIDI sequencer.

If you wish to record audio tracks or the A/D audio input of a performance you'll need to record it either on a separate multitrack recorder like a Tascam or a Zoom or on your computer using the audio input via USB or your computer soundcard and an audio recording program like Audacity or Cubase if it supports recording audio tracks as well as MIDI data.

Refer to page 52 of the manual for basic info on setting it up with DAW recording software on your computer.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=au.yamaha.com&product_id=1464171

At least that's the way it reads to me...

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, Gary. It did come with Cubase software, so I will install that and see how it goes. I also figured out how to record short loops and songs internally, but would like to export them via Cubase, so that info should be helpful.

Ask a Question