Anything better than PSR-EW400

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at purchasing my first keyboard to learn with and am currently drawn to the Yamaha PSR-EW400.

Is there a better keyboard for a beginner not wanting to buy a cheap, nasty keyboard and hoping for something that will last a few years learning?

Price range - £200 to £400

I have only really.considered Yamaha to this point, I have little knowledge of other manufacturers, but have an open mind.

Thanks!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
What are you looking for? The PSR-EW400 is an arranger, which means that it can create accompaniments for you. In the United States, there's a bit of arranger/workstation divisions that isn't as strong in the rest of the world.

Arrangers also tend to have built in speakers, which the "professional" keyboards don't.

Personally, it looks good to me. If you're interested in playing piano eventually, I'd recommend something with weighted keys. If not, then don't worry about it.

I would recommend that you work on left hand technique, and not rely on the arranger functions. There's nothing wrong with an arranger, but there may come a time when you've become overly reliant on them.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I am mainly interested in playing simple ballard type music, think Coldplay or the Beatles, I have no idea if this will lead me towards piano playing, but that's a possibility.

I am less interested in the Arrangers side of playing, but it's something that I could enjoy playing with as I progress?!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think one of the main questions you'll want to consider is whether you're more interested in learning to play piano (including electric piano) or organ/synth. The PSR-EW400 has organ/synth-style keys, whereas something in the DGX line will have more piano-like keys.

The PSR-EW400 is very similar to the three models that I have, but with additional features and a wider keyboard. I'm very happy with my three 'boards, although I lean more toward synth music than piano music per se, so I do prefer synth-style keys. And while I'm not 100% satisfied with the "believability" of some of the voices on my three 'boards-- mainly the symphonic ones (violins, flutes, etc.), which don't sound very convincing to me for one reason or another-- I have an assortment of virtual instruments for my computer that I can use if a particular voice on my Yammies isn't to my liking. But I'm not as much interested in those voices, anyway, and I like being able to modify the built-in voices by changing their attack/release and cutoff/resonance settings.

Reaction score
Well Yamaha just came out with the successor, EW410. I have the EW400 and it's actually fine to me for piano, which I mostly use it for.

Reaction score
Robert

There are different categories of keyboards:-
Arrangers
Workstations
Digital Pianos
Synths

There is considerable overlap in the functions available.

The Yamaha PSR EW410 is listed as a digial piano but it will do much more and is a great piece of kit.

Also check out:-
Yamaha PSR E463 which is an arranger.

Yamaha PSR S670 which is more an arranger/workstation.

Roland BK3, is a Roland, top quality at a very affordable price, inbuilt amp and 7.5W speaker system.

Check out Youtube for reviews of each.

Of the above its the Roland which imho is the one that will provide the longest service

Or

If you want to start off simple you could always get a midi keyboard such as a Roland A49 and connect it up to your iPad, download the App, Music Studio and buy an iPad Camera Kit adapter for about 30bucks (its a powered adapter that you plug your charger into) and you are good to go for not a lot of cash.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the PSR-EW410 a "digital piano," because it has organ- or synth-style keys. If Yamaha has taken to calling it a digital piano, it must be purely because it has 76 keys. Personally, I'd call it a portable arranger.

Reaction score
Michael
I called the EW a digital piano because that is what it is listed at on my favourite UK Music Store’s website, but I do agree it is more of an arranger.

David
If I can put my Mr Controversal hat on and play Devils advocate then I would suggest that you look at another manufacturer other than Yamaha. Yamaha in the price range you are seeking and even at twice then price sound inferior to other makes imho that is, they are not the most connective and universally their Manuals suck big time, the inbuilt tutorials are a joke and the screens are so small that you need the Hubble to see the text. Yamaha produce a large ranger of entry level keyboards simply to get newbies into the brand hoping that they will aspire to their Genos at £3600 and similar priced stage kit.

The Roland that I suggested is a top quality piece of kit that will serve for years.

Roland also have a fantastic keyboard that they call GoKeys which is available in two forms for £250, aimed at the newbie market it does have the Roland quality.

If you can stretch your budget further then a akorg PA300 at £550 is a fantastic arranger with great sound.

Can I ask where you live in the UK to see if I can point you to a music store that can help you narrow down the option?

Ask a Question