Are Yamahas Reliable? You Be The Judge

Reaction score
58A2C8C7-F64B-477D-9D77-A655D21C646C.jpeg

Reaction score
I could probably show you over 100 posts about pitch/mod wheels and blinking lights on Kurzweil's. I could probably show you 100 posts on GSI products (Mojo's, Gemini module, Seven) with a variety of issues. One product that consistently stood the test of time is a Hammond organ and Leslie. Note that they are analog, not digital. Also note they were built back in an era where the goal was reliability for years (like Electrolux vacuums). Today's toys are designed with cheap parts and inexpensive labor and the replacement parts are expensive (so you consider just tossing it because of the cost of the repair) and also NLA after a mere 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Considering Yamaha has about 40% of the global sales of all kinds of instruments it is not surprising.

16 keyboards in their portable class
5 keyboards in their workstation class (Arrangers)
7 keyboards in their synthesiser class
5 keyboards in their stage class

plus

Many, many Pianos of all kinds

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Now boys, boys, boys...

Everyone here has made valid points about reliability in general, BUT, aint it funny that Kurzweil will actually tell you the physical and electronic hacks required to repair their gear even on 30 year old legacy products, while Yamaha reps won't give you the time of day the second the warranty expires?

Frankly I think that's why we get so many Yamaha posts in here in the first place.

Mommy's not giving them any lovin at home so they gotta get their fix from us :D :D :D

Same with my Sequential Circuits. The second I had an issue I sent an email that was replied to the same day!!!!!!

You'll NEVER see that kind of love from Korg or Yamaha or Roland.

I'd sooner slice off my own nutsack than trade my Kurzweil for a Montage or Genos :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Lads, I think you all know me well enough by now to know that was a very tongue-in-cheek post. I was chuckling to myself because of the coincidental order of the posts on my phone as per the screenshot.

My oldest keyboard is a Yamaha and it still (sort of) works.

Enjoying the responses though - keep ‘em coming!

Ask a Question