Assign Midi CC to controller via Midi commands from external device.

Reaction score
I have recently transplanted the electronics from an M-Audio Sono 88 with a bad keybed to a Midiplus Origin62 keyboard, giving me the various inputs, outputs and preamps of the Sono 88 for use when carrying the Origin62 about. The 7 premium voices and other GM sounds of the Sono can also be triggered from the midiplus interface using midi.

However, because the mainboard of the Sono 88 is different to the Origin62 and the connectors are different, I cannot plug the Origin62 connectors coming out of the keybed into the Sono 88 mainboard, so the Sono 88 board is not receiving any physical key presses. I can only trigger sounds via midi sent from the Origin62 to the Sono 88 (or from another controller attached to the Sono 88 interface), not via a direct connection from the Origin62 keybed to the Sono 8 mainboard. So, I have lost the ability to assign CC to the controllers on the Sono 88, as this required pressing the edit key (which I can still press) but then pressing the keyboard keys to configure the controllers. For example, I'd like to assign sostenuto Midi CC #66 to the Sustain jack.

I'm wondering if this can be done via midi messages or USB. No such messages are mentioned in the manual, however, I have found I can do stuff via midi not mentioned in the manual (the interface responds to universal sysex and Channel Mode commands, etc).

I have contacted M-Audio support and they don't have a full midi implementation chart/manual for this keyboard or for any keyboard. At any rate the fella who answered claimed his knowledge of sysex and this kind of stuff was limited to 'a paragraph' of information. Also apparently they don't have much documentation on keyboards built before the company was acquired from Avid.

Any suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Have you tried running the program MIDIOX to see what messages are being sent when you hit the controls?

Half the fun of hardware hacking is reverse engineering undocumented hardware :p ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Have you tried running the program MIDIOX to see what messages are being sent when you hit the controls?

Half the fun of hardware hacking is reverse engineering undocumented hardware :p ;)

Gary ;)

HI Gary, yes I have monitored it. Pressing the edit button on the Sono 88, which puts it into edit mode and allows assigning Midi CC etc. , doesn't send any midi anywhere. The regular controllers (pots, keys etc.) send regular midi as per GM specification.

Ask a Question