Auto Lock on Ancient Threads

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm respectfully suggesting this to Ian because I keep getting notifications from years-old threads by noobs who don't bother to read the whole thread to see the resolution spelled out for them.

A simple auto-lock after 12 months of inactivity with a friendly suggestion to start a new thread on the subject would be all that it takes to relieve our inboxes from the tedium of these notifications.

Rant mode over.

Otherwise Ian's management has seen these forums flourish this past decade.

Gary ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I always enjoy seeing feedback on the site :D.

I've wondered about this auto-lock before, and tried it on another site a few years ago - but it created some different problems instead - sometimes users would complain that they could not reply to an existing thread they had participated in with valid info, and I'd have to merge posts. It also dropped the number of new members posting.

I wonder if there's a way I can add a notice to an old thread instead, strongly suggesting that they make a new thread if it's unrelated to the original thread. Might be a good compromise? Would be interested to see if other members find it a problem too.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Anything that would keep these people from resurrecting dead threads with redundant questions would help.

Thanks for the quick response Ian :)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Would be interested to see if other members find it a problem too.
There are 2 aspects to it which are annoying.

1. Many new members often join the forum because they have a keyboard problem or an issue or they don't know how to fix an error. The issue is posted as a new thread, however it has been discussed many times in the past. In these cases the member should scroll through the old threads first and they will usually find a suitable outcome. Their enthusiasm having found this forum creates an anxiety to start a thread. The good people here give up their vauabke time and advice and the OP gets his/her desired result and rarely posts ever again.

2. When the an old thread is revived and the newbie just reads the subject heading without reading the context. or timeline . . They hit on "reply" expecting an answer from a redundant member. It gets annoying for the good people here to repeatedly explain that the thread is old. There again the OP just moves on without showing any gratitude.

Both these annoyances could be addressed. Maybe old redundant threads could be moved to a new forum of "Archives" after a period of time if there hasn't been any activity they cold be automatically moved. This way these old threads could not be revived but just readable. If someone wants to refer to certain aspects of the old thread, maybe they could start a new thread and ask if the old thread could be revived. The mods could re-open it on its merits. I think only a genuine new member would ask for revival of an old thread. Hence if they read the context first, they may be satisfied and move on.

My humble thoughts on the subject.

Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
. If someone wants to refer to certain aspects of the old thread, maybe they could start a new thread and ask if the old thread could be revived. The mods could re-open it on its merits.
Maybe not start a new thread to ask . .
Instead, maybe there could be link on the old thread to ask a mod if it could be re-opened.

Ask a Question