Best free VST instruments

Reaction score
Hi Michael, I like the DSK range of VST's also. I have no trouble loading them into Mixcraft, but if I try and load them into a V Machine stand alone player, any that have a separate instrument folder along with the .DLL file, show up as loaded but with no instruments available. The ones with just the .DLL file work straight away. The player will only load .DLL files, and nothing else it appears. When I unzip the downloaded files, I place them all into a VST folder, and from there import the .DLL into the V Machine, but it doesn't take the instrument folder with it. Hope you may have an idea to try.

Reaction score
As someone that uses freebie softwares only, I have some recommendations for free VST2/3 plugins for PC -

- Surge (it used to be paid for, it's hybrid, and you can use it on VCV Rack, which is free too)
- TAL freebie section (They are all nice imo, the synths are subtractive)
- Full Bucket Music (A collection of VA synths, emulating hardware synths & effects)
- Dexed ('Cause we all need a free emulation of the legendary FM synth, AKA Yamaha's DX7. You can use the original sys. files!)
- Helm (It's wavetable, for all your Serum needs, alongside Surge)
- Tunefish 4 (Yep, added an additive synth to the list!)
- Steinberg's VST Classics Vol. 1 + 2 (More plugin emulations from the creators of VST for some good ol' synthwave)
- Steinberg's HALion library (Another one from Steinberg is a nice rompler that can be expanded more and more!)

I hope I didn't forget anything else, and that it will help you!

Ask a Question