Best Monitor Speakers for Keyboards

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am sure this has been covered many times before but im wanting to know what the best speakers are to use for my Keyboard set - up. Authentic detailed sounds are important and i play a lot of piano so low end is also important. I have an ok set - up already i have 2 Yamaha HS7's and a HS8 Subwoofer. Now, the sound is good but.... just slightly flat. Maybe its how i have them positioned?. I have then sat under the bottom keyboard on two Iso Acoustics ISO-130 Isolation Stands. The Subwoofer is to the left of one of the speakers. I know these are not high end monitors but i think i paid a total of $800 for the pair plus the Subwoofer.

Any help/ideas would be very grateful!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Try these. EV ELX112p. One of the few speakers still constructed out of wood rather than ABS. Plenty of bass and they have a warm natural sound.

Reaction score
Your subject title was best monitor speakers for keyboards. These aren't "the best" (that's subjective anyway) but they are way better than what you currently have, the weigh about 35 pounds (not too heavy), they can be used in a studio or at a show and I paid the same amount for them that you paid for yours. So for the same amount of money your speakers get an upgrade and at 35 pounds they are still portable.

Check the quality rating: https://www.google.com/search?q=ev+...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Check proaudio star in new york, they typically discount these speakers and the shipping is typically free.. Also, because these speakers can be so easily rebuilt, don't be afraid at looking at 'refurbed' speakers. Refurbed are typically warrantied and will last just as long as new. The most important thing is how the exterior condition is on the refurbed. They can send you pictures of refurb speakers.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think the OP already has a top of the line studio monitor setup and all he really needs is a little EQ fiddling to get the sound he is looking for. If he really feels like dropping more coin on the system he should be looking at a proper Graphic or Parametric Equalizer and maybe a reference mic and a Spectrum Analyzer so he can "see" what his system sounds like. That's what the audiophile dweebs use to achieve "concert hall perfection."

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=parametric+equalizer&ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=graphic+equalizer&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=audio+spectrum+analyzer&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=calibrated+reference+microphone&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the Room Control and High Trim switches, if so do you notice much difference.

If you have nit then maybe its worth adjusting the Room Control note differences, switch back then try the High Trim, note results then try both together.

These speakers are a great set that should be OK for your use.

I’m with Gary, an Equaliser as a minimum would be a great addition.

Reaction score
Your subject title was best monitor speakers for keyboards. These aren't "the best" (that's subjective anyway) but they are way better than what you currently have, the weigh about 35 pounds (not too heavy), they can be used in a studio or at a show and I paid the same amount for them that you paid for yours. So for the same amount of money your speakers get an upgrade and at 35 pounds they are still portable.

Check the quality rating: https://www.google.com/search?q=ev+...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Check proaudio star in new york, they typically discount these speakers and the shipping is typically free.. Also, because these speakers can be so easily rebuilt, don't be afraid at looking at 'refurbed' speakers. Refurbed are typically warrantied and will last just as long as new. The most important thing is how the exterior condition is on the refurbed. They can send you pictures of refurb speakers.

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your input!. Up until recently i have only played the organ so i am actually very new to keyboards. Soon as things get technical my brain switches off! lol. I don't know what "High Trim switches" are... i am not sure what an Equalizer does either. All i know is that i dont think i am getting the most out of the way my stuff is set up right now!... This is going to be a steep learning curve for me!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A multiband graphic equalizer or EQ is nothing more than a glorified tone control which offers the ability to boost or cut frequencies in a range of 5 to 12 bands rather than simply cranking up the Bass or Treble.

It allows you to tailor the sound to your room's acoustics as well as to your personal preference.

An audio spectrum analyzer is a type of poor man's oscilloscope that allows you to run a test tone and then "listen" to and "see" the results in various listening locations around the room using a calibrated reference mic in order to achieve the even response across the listening environment with laboratory precision.

A spectrum analyzer is overkill for pretty much everyone except the geekiest of audiophiles,

A decent Graphic Equalizer, however, can be had for anywhere from under a hundred to a few hundred dollars and will allow you to tailor the frequency response of your Yamahas to your liking.

Believe me, an $800 set of Yamaha Nearfield Monitors with Subwoofer is a very fine piece of gear to have and throwing money at different speakers is a waste of time and money.

All you have to do is adjust the frequency output of the monitors and you'll achieve a sound to your liking.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A multiband graphic equalizer or EQ is nothing more than a glorified tone control which offers the ability to boost or cut frequencies in a range of 5 to 12 bands rather than simply cranking up the Bass or Treble.

It allows you to tailor the sound to your room's acoustics as well as to your personal preference.

An audio spectrum analyzer is a type of poor man's oscilloscope that allows you to run a test tone and then "listen" to and "see" the results in various listening locations around the room using a calibrated reference mic in order to achieve the even response across the listening environment with laboratory precision.

A spectrum analyzer is overkill for pretty much everyone except the geekiest of audiophiles,

A decent Graphic Equalizer, however, can be had for anywhere from under a hundred to a few hundred dollars and will allow you to tailor the frequency response of your Yamahas to your liking.

Believe me, an $800 set of Yamaha Nearfield Monitors with Subwoofer is a very fine piece of gear to have and throwing money at different speakers is a waste of time and money.

All you have to do is adjust the frequency output of the monitors and you'll achieve a sound to your liking.

Gary ;)

Wow, thank you so much for putting all that in simple language for me!! I think i will have a look on good old ebay and see what i can get! :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try and avoid the cheapest ones you can find. They can add noise to the audio chain.

Also I'd advise sticking with ones designed by music manufacturers so you won't have to deal with cabling adapters. ie. If you are connecting to the amp with 1/4" TS guitar style cables then an RCA connection won't work without an adapter.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Try and avoid the cheapest ones you can find. They can add noise to the audio chain.

Also I'd advise sticking with ones designed by music manufacturers so you won't have to deal with cabling adapters. ie. If you are connecting to the amp with 1/4" TS guitar style cables then an RCA connection won't work without an adapter.

Gary ;)

Seen this - https://ebay.to/2N18pQc

Is this any good and would i need extra cables? Thank you Gary!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That sucker looks REALLY cheap and off brand.

I'd recommend sticking with known makes like Yamaha, Mackie and Behringer.

For instance.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FBQ1502HD-BEHRINGER-ULTRAGRAPH-PRO/dp/B013JLZMZE

or honestly for your purposes even one of these would do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FBQ800-BEHRINGER-MINIFBQ/dp/B000MJ406Y

Behringer has a reputation for making inexpensive but decent musical gear and if you get a noisy one just ship it back for an exchange. I had to deal with a DOA mixer from them once and it was exchanged without a hiccup.

Amazon gives you much better warranty terms than eBay as well.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I looked at the Amazon Reviews of the FBQ800. Looks like a lot of problems.

Stick with the FBQ1502HD instead. That one gets stellar reviews.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Before you shell out cash and buy additional kit you may find that simply repositioning the L & R speakers off the isolation racks and place them level with your head when you are playing the keyboard makes a difference, also where they are positioned relative to the wall behind them will make a considerable difference.

At the rear of your speakers you should find the switches that I was referring to, try adjusting them both where they are and when you have the speakers at head height.

Btw, the Yamaha Manual for your speakers states that the L & R pair should be positioned at least 1.5m from a wall or room corner.

Ask a Question