Big picture; how to sample a bass guitar and save the patch

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
Hi kind Rolander folks! Help! (again!)

I can't really find or even twiddle an existing patch that closely matches my bass guitar, and I swap back and forth between key bass and bass guitar frequently during a gig, sometimes even mid-song. From what I've been told I should be able to 'simply sample the instrument' and use that as a patch. Right.

Or are there any good videos or tutorials?

The manual and sups offer some detailed instructions, but not so much from a big picture perspective. More How that Why. I understand the part about having the right format and sampling rate to get the right file(s), and will set both the interface and Audacity to match.

So, what's the "straight skinny" on the process? In basic terms, the details I can look up. Like do I need one perfect note, or several (4?)? How do I "assemble" a patch from the sample(s)? Stuff like that.

I have a digital audio interface with decent D/A converters, and can go directly in from both the BG and the KBD to make the sample and a direct comparison. I'll put both through the same amp when comparing. Since BOTH signals go to the same amp via buffered input, I shouldn't have to worry about EQ or any tonal changes during playback, just get them to be as close as possible (hopefully!)

Thanks as usual, muchly appreciated.

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
I guess my ignorance is showing, would this actually be multi sampling?

Or just for a bass, do one sample at say a D2 to be near playing range, don't have to worry about the higher notes with a keyboard generally split?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IIRC you have a Juno DS, so, It can play either WAVs or MP3s as samples?

It's VERY fussy about number of bits and sampling rate though.

I seem to recall running my WAV collection thru it and getting hit and miss results.

Just analyze one of the ones that works and use the same settings.

Gary ;)

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
Thanks. I've got all the right settings, no problem. But I also found out that it expects the Files to be in stereo or it won't work.

Since I'm only ever going to use two octaves, from the videos I watched it sounds like going up and down one octave might be enough using a single sample. But I'll try it later today and see.

It also appears that I can use up to four samples and make each one only cover a particular short range of notes, if I'm reading it right. We'll see! Thanks as usual!

Ask a Question