Buttons are not working on Kurzweil PC88

Reaction score
I recently inherited a Kurzweil PC 88 when my dad passed away. He had a recording studio many years ago, and the keyboard had been sitting in a closet for probably about 25 years. Of course the internal battery is low and needs to be replaced and I get the notification every time I turn the keyboard on. But, the keyboard plays just fine and all of the keys work very well, but for some reason alot of the programming buttons will not work, as well as the buttons to change the different voices on the keyboard. I can change the voices by turning the wheel, but the buttons will not work. Do you think this could be because of the internal battery needing to be replaced, or does that have nothing to do with the functioning of the buttons?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Buy a can of Deoxit electronics cleaner and spray into the buttons and then work each button a dozen or so times to remove corrosion of the phosphor bronze contacts.

The battery is only used to keep the correct time of day clock for the sequencer file info.

Reaction score
OK, thank you so much for the info. It's actually in the shop right now and they want to charge me 127 dollars to get the battery changed. That is on top of the diagnostics fee. I'm not really interested in anything to do with the memory or recording/ saving anything. I just want it to sound good when I play it. I think I will just bring it home and clean it just like you said and maybe change the battery myself. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Lol, yes....its very affordable. And from what I can tell, it's not that hard to open up the keyboard to change it out. I'm pretty confident I can do it myself

Ask a Question