Buying a synth...

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm totally new here, but I have a keyboard related question, so figured I should post here.

I'm a multi instrumentalist who mostly plays guitar/bass/mandolin/drums. I do sometimes throw in keys, and have played synth in a few bands in the past. I'm definitely not a concert pianist.

My current keyboard setup is a a dual tier X stand with a Yamaha YPG-535 on the bottom and a Korg MicroKorg on top. I'm not too happy with the Yamaha, as it has no MIDI I/O and the voices are uneditable and mega cheesy. Last week a friend from church told me she was looking for an 88 key weighted or semi weighted board to practice piano at home, as she just started taking lessons. I told her I had one and would definitely be willing to sell it.

I bought the keyboard for $500 a few years ago, and its in pretty pristine condition. I'm figuring I could get $350 for it. I'd really like to buy a different bottom board to replace the Yamaha.

My requirements are: at least 61 keys, must have a decent piano sound, must have MIDI I/O.

My hopefuls are: weighted or semi weighted keys (I record pianists from time to time and it helps them immensely), a decent synth section, pretty lightweight, 88 or 76 keys.

I've been thinking maybe a used M Audio Prokeys 88? I'd love a Juno Stage or a Nord Lead, but they're far off my price range.

So, with those thoughts in mind, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Alex

Reaction score
...My requirements are: at least 61 keys, must have a decent piano sound, must have MIDI I/O.

My hopefuls are:
weighted or semi weighted keys,
a decent synth section,
pretty lightweight,
88 or 76 keys.

I've been thinking maybe a used M Audio Prokeys 88?

I'd love a Juno Stage or a Nord Lead, but they're far off my price range.

Alex

Hi Alex.

Do not even think about the M-Audio Prokeys - they are a pile of c**p !

A Juno Stage or Nord Lead are way off what you said you are looking for too -

neither has even a semi-weighted action, & the Nord (superb as it is), is a 4-octave VA (virtual analogue) synth....

not remotely in the same ball-park as a weighted action piano. Can't imagine what you were thinking there?

If your budget can't stretch even as far as a Juno, you'll just have to be more realistic with your expectations, I'm afraid.

CasioPrivia PX330 is good value for money, and getting a lot of positive feedback

(looks like Casio may have finally got rid of the stigma that they are just toys) -

but don't have a 'synth' as such... although there are 250 built-in 'sounds'.

http://priviapiano.com/products/PX-330

Can't think of anything else at the mo !

Reaction score
Weighed or semi weighted keys are great, and synth action is okay, but not ideal. And maybe it's not the Lead.... whatever Nord it is with the nice electric piano sounds. And I was thinking a Juno D or MM6 would be in my price range used, and was just wondering if there's something else around there with weighted or semi weighted keys, as they're both synth action. I have looked at Casios, and have a friend who uses one as a stage piano and it sounds great. Not sure how the synth sounds are. What about an older board like an Alesis QS7 or 8? I've played them and they have usable piano and strings, as well as some pretty good synth sounds, all for around <$400 used. Is there anything similar to that with better piano sounds?

Thanks,

Alex

Reaction score
Hi Alex.

Do not even think about the M-Audio Prokeys - they are a pile of c**p !

A Juno Stage or Nord Lead are way off what you said you are looking for too -

neither has even a semi-weighted action, & the Nord (superb as it is), is a 4-octave VA (virtual analogue) synth....

not remotely in the same ball-park as a weighted action piano. Can't imagine what you were thinking there?

If your budget can't stretch even as far as a Juno, you'll just have to be more realistic with your expectations, I'm afraid.

CasioPrivia PX330 is good value for money, and getting a lot of positive feedback

(looks like Casio may have finally got rid of the stigma that they are just toys) -

but don't have a 'synth' as such... although there are 250 built-in 'sounds'.

http://priviapiano.com/products/PX-330

Can't think of anything else at the mo !

Also, a few of my friends have and love M Audio Prokeys boards (one has the Prokeys 88, the other has a Prokeys Sono 88). All the demos sound good, and after having played on my friends', the key action seems to be perfectly fine (It's not the same as an acoustic piano, but neither are many much more expensive weighted keyboards). So what makes it a 'piece of crap'? I know it doesn't have a synth engine, but in a pinch I can use my MicroKorg for that, it just would have been nice to have.

And the Casio seems like a somewhat similar board to my current Yamaha.... a reasonably nice home keyboard. It does have a few of the features I wanted (weighted 88 keys, MIDI I/O, etc.), but it still seems home keyboard-y to me (maybe its just the Casio name?).

If anyone else has any recommendations of a good board for under $400 used, hit me with it.

Thanks,

Alex

Reaction score
WEll I am not an expert, but the Roland Fantom G is a great tool in my opinion.

I did a lot of looking, shopping, playing and reading before I bought my Fantom G8 here a bit ago.

This is to use an over used Phrase "world class equipment"

128 midi tracks, 24 audio tracks and enough adjustments and gizmos to keep you busy for a Loooooooooooooooooooong time.

The sound is awesome and the weighted keys feel so nice and natural.

There are other top line choices, but I would certainly look at the Fantom G if your serious about a Synth/workstation.

Good luck

Snowy

Reaction score

I did a lot of looking, shopping, playing and reading before I bought my Fantom G8 here a bit ago.

This is to use an over used Phrase "world class equipment"

128 midi tracks, 24 audio tracks and enough adjustments and gizmos to keep you busy for a Loooooooooooooooooooong time.

The sound is awesome and the weighted keys feel so nice and natural.

There are other top line choices, but I would certainly look at the Fantom G if your serious about a Synth/workstation.

Good luck

Snowy

Well, as much as I'd love a Fantom (I have a few friends who use them), its really out of the question for my budget. As I said, I need a good solid board with a good piano sound (it'll be used a lot for folkier, piano singer/songwriter performances). A good synth section would be nice too, but not totally necessary, as I do have a smaller Korg synth as well. MIDI I/O is a must.

Reaction score

I would certainly look at the Fantom G if your serious about a Synth/workstation.

Why don't people read a perfectly simple outline of the poster's requirements ?

Snowy , you've mentioned before how happy you are with your Fantom, so I think we get the point.....

If you're so keen for Alex to add one to his arsenal, why don't you sell him yours for <$400.00 ?

This is like someone going to a car lot saying "I'm interested in a Ford Focus",

then the salesman saying "well, I've got this nice Rolls-Royce over here" :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Why don't people read a perfectly simple outline of the poster's requirements ?

Snowy , you've mentioned before how happy you are with your Fantom, so I think we get the point.....

If you're so keen for Alex to add one to his arsenal, why don't you sell him yours for <$400.00 ?

This is like someone going to a car lot saying "I'm interested in a Ford Focus",

then the salesman saying "well, I've got this nice Rolls-Royce over here" :rolleyes:

Hahaha thank you, that made me laugh. Do you have any recommendations on a sub $400 board?

Thanks,

Alex

Reaction score
Excuse my Post.

I skimmed over the OP post and missed the $400 price tag.

There was a Fantom X series locally on Craigs list that was a lot closer to the price that our friend is looking to pay.

Some serious shopping these days can net one some great finds.

Anyway, sorry I missed the Price range.

Snowy

Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations on a sub $400 board?

This is where I'm struggling to find any suggestions.

$400 is very little money to play with in the world of keyboards - I have never seriously looked at anything in that price bracket.

To be honest, other than the Privia I mentioned, there are numerous 'boards in that price range,

all of which are nowhere near 'professional' level (keys that light up to show you what note to play next, etc etc).

so you're probably best off going to a music store & trying out what they've got.

Good luck.

Ask a Question