Testing a Roland MKB-300 before buying

Reaction score
I know someone selling a Roland MKB-300 keyboard controller, but he has nothing to test it with. There is no sound module connected (he doesn't have one), but he says there are sounds stored on the keyboard itself.
I am new to MIDI and rack synths, but want to get into it. How do I test this keyboard before I buy it?
There are no audio out jacks on the keyboard, I downloaded the manual to check out what connections are available.
Should I get a MIDI in/out to USB cable? That would get the signal to the PC, but it still wouldn't be audio.
What is the cheapest way to test it? I don't want to buy a bunch of equipment before I check it out.
I have an o-scope. I guess I could check the digital signal out of the MIDI jack.
Thanks for your help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cheapest way to test it is to buy a $5 USB MIDI Class Compliant Interface and plug it into a computer running a freeware VSTi.

Sound will be output on the computer's speakers. Good enough for a basic test.

Checking out the specs, I can guarantee there are no built in sounds. Instead it can store the digital control data for up to 128 patches but those patches would still depend on a hardware sound module like a Roland Sound Canvas or a computer based VSTi.

Google any terms I may have used that you don't understand and you will find exactly what you need.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Cheapest way to test it is to buy a $5 USB MIDI Class Compliant Interface and plug it into a computer running a freeware VSTi.

Sound will be output on the computer's speakers. Good enough for a basic test.

Checking out the specs, I can guarantee there are no built in sounds. Instead it can store the digital control data for up to 128 patches but those patches would still depend on a hardware sound module like a Roland Sound Canvas or a computer based VSTi.

Google any terms I may have used that you don't understand and you will find exactly what you need.

Gary ;)
So, I downloaded Zampler//RX as a VST plugin. The next question is, "Plugin to what?"
I don't have a VST folder. The Zampler instructions told me to place the files (dll) in that folder and gave directory locations for the C: drive.
Do I need a DAW of some kind installed first?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You don't need a DAW. Simplest thing is to download a freeware VST Plugin Host program.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Also some VST plugins can operate in standalone mode. Google standalone VST.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Also some VST plugins can operate in standalone mode. Google standalone VST.

Gary ;)
I will check that out. I installed MuLab and installed Zampler as a plugin. I will have to look at the audio setup.
Does a VST Host automatically use the Windows soundcard. I don't have any audio gear in my (work) computer.
I will also look at Google VST.
Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A VST Host will usually auto detect whatever soundcard or device you have installed as default.

As long as you have drivers for it it will be pretty much plug and play with possibly some configuration screens in the setup.

Worst case scenario at work you can plug in a USB soundcard in a pinch.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question