Can this be done on a DS88? If so, how?

Reaction score
In the context of playing a live gig, I want to set up this simple performance:
Bass on left side of split - piano + organ on the right side. I want each of the 3 instruments to have a separate volume with the volume of the organ assigned to the expression pedal. Sounds simple, but I haven't been able to figure this out. In the performance edit MIDI matrix, I can turn off the volume for the piano and bass, but then I can't adjust the volume of those instruments on the fly and, of course, the upper/lower volume sliders don't work. A logical solution would be to assign the bass and piano volume to the assignable knobs, but I can't figure out how to do that. Note: each instrument is assigned to a different MIDI channel. As a side issue, in the performance edit matrix, turning the expression pedal on or off doesn't seem to do anything.

Help much appreciated.

Reaction score
I remember seeing that there is a way to assign the four assignable knobs to be volume controls, in banks of 4 (so in your case you could use them for the volumes of parts 1-4), but I don't know the details. For the other, I think you have to turn on (or off) the MIDI Expression pedal parameter for each channel of the Performance depending on whether or not you want that pedal to affect the sound(s) associated with that MIDI channel (which you can reassign as needed).

Reaction score
AnotherScott, thanks for your reply. I can tell you understand my problem and offer solid solutions, however, note:
1) I have assigned each knob to CC07 Volume. But I can't figure out how to assign a particular MIDI channel to each, i.e., Knob 1– MIDI channel 1; knob 2 – MIDI channel 2, etc. I'm beginning to think that volume is always a global function and can't be assigned to individual instruments in a performance other than the lower/upper sliders.
2) Turning on (or off) the MIDI Expression pedal parameter for each channel of the Performance makes sense, but doing that nothing. Software glitch??

Reaction score
I have assigned each knob to CC07 Volume. But I can't figure out how to assign a particular MIDI channel to each, i.e., Knob 1– MIDI channel 1; knob 2 – MIDI channel 2,
I think those assignments may be by part, not by MIDI channel. Also see post #2 at https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/a-complex-ds88-question.28215/

But there's a short-cut... press SHIFT + SELECT and the knobs should control the volumes for the various parts (and press again to exit that mode), that should do what you need.

2) Turning on (or off) the MIDI Expression pedal parameter for each channel of the Performance makes sense, but doing that nothing. Software glitch??
Hmmm. I haven't done it myself. But it sounds like it should work, based on info at http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=56297

Reaction score
Biggles, thanks for pointing me to these tutorials. Good stuff, but I've watched them many times and they don't quite go far enough in the performance building/editing process to solve my problem, which I'm beginning to thing is not possible on the DS.
I think those assignments may be by part, not by MIDI channel. Also see post #2 at https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/a-complex-ds88-question.28215/

But there's a short-cut... press SHIFT + SELECT and the knobs should control the volumes for the various parts (and press again to exit that mode), that should do what you need.

Hmmm. I haven't done it myself. But it sounds like it should work, based on info at http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=56297
That short cut gets me most of the way there. You still have to press the corresponding phrase pads to select the correct part, but that's progress. Where did you learn about that. I've search the both manuals and could find no mention of it. Thanks so much.

Also, unchecking or checking the MIDI expression pedal parameter still doesn't work. In fact, the expression pedal doesn't function at all in SHIFT+SELECT mode. Any idea about that?

Reaction score
That short cut gets me most of the way there. You still have to press the corresponding phrase pads to select the correct part, but that's progress. Where did you learn about that. I've search the both manuals and could find no mention of it. Thanks so much.

There's a shortcuts section in the back of the manual, it's listed there. Though honestly, I discovered it when someone else mentioned it in a post. :)

But that's not the only way to do it. Going back to my first suggestion, you can also assign the knobs. I found the detail here:

Those CCs he found are in the MIDI Implementation Chart, which is located in the separate MIDI Implementation manual for the DS.

Also, unchecking or checking the MIDI expression pedal parameter still doesn't work. In fact, the expression pedal doesn't function at all in SHIFT+SELECT mode. Any idea about that?

Hmmm. Well, you could go into shift-select to make your adjustment, then exit shift-select, and maybe the expression pedal will do what you expect then? Or see what happens if you use that alternate method of assigning volume to those 4 knobs.

Ask a Question