Can you only use NI-MH batteries for the roland juno ds88?

Reaction score
I was wondering if the keyboard accepts any other aa batteries because Im afraid Il damage the keyboard if I try to put some different kind in.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From Page 20 of the manual.

• If operating this unit on batteries, please use rechargeable Ni-
MH batteries.
• If operating this unit on batteries, please disconnect the AC
adaptor from this unit.
• Even if batteries are installed, the unit will turn off if you
connect or disconnect the power cord from the AC outlet while
the unit is turned on, or if you connect or disconnect the AC
adaptor from the unit. When this occurs, unsaved data may
be lost. You must turn off the power before you connect or
disconnect the power cord or AC adaptor.

Other batteries may not operate properly or even damage the unit.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ni Mh batteries are 1.2 volt per cell

Non rechargeable cells like those with the copper coloured tops are 1.5 volt per cell

So 8 copper topped AA sized non-rechargeable cells in a Juno gives a potential 12 volts available so 2.4 volts above the 9.6 volt from 8 Mi Mh cells which in turn may lead to damage if Roland have not allowed for it in the circuit design.

We did have a similar question last year where the Op only got 20 minutes use out of their Ni Mh cells, what we do not know was the capacity of them since it was another case of they came, they posted, they failed to acknowledge or contribute further.

Hence if you are going to obtain Ni Mh batteries then I suggest that you only buy those with a high capacity of around 2500 mAh and please only buy them from a reputable source.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Rechargeable batteries are also more environmentally friendly!

Some keyboards may allow for either 1.2v (Ni-MH) or 1.5v (Alkaline) batteries-- but if they do, they might have a function setting which should be set to indicate the battery type being used. My Yamaha PSR-E keyboards have such a function setting, but I never realized it had to do with the voltages, because the manual doesn't mention anything about the different voltages.

Ask a Question