Can't decide

Reaction score
Whats going on everyone. My name is Efrain and i self-teaching myself to play the piano and I am looking to actually purchase a new keyboard but cannot decide on either the Yamaha P-115 or the Yamaha P-45. Not sure if anyone here has either of those keyboards but looking to know or get some info on which one would be the best fit for me. I am still learning to play but definitely driven to want to play consistently. any advice?

Reaction score
Welcome.

On paper its a no brainer the 115 is far superior.

Can you go to a music store and try them both.

Maybe if you went for lessons for a while that would help kick start the next phase of your learning

Reaction score
Welcome.

On paper its a no brainer the 115 is far superior.

Can you go to a music store and try them both.

Maybe if you went for lessons for a while that would help kick start the next phase of your learning

Im sure that i can try them both out. that is my next course of action before purchasing anything and im actually looking into getting lessons. not a lot of time to get lessons in. Have a job that has me working just about every day so when i do actually have time to practice (i already own a keyboard but looking to upgrade) i try to get as much as i can in one session.

Reaction score
Its difficult in a busy life to fit things in but it is generally thought that little and often is far more beneficial than one large chunk of actions.

How about trying to get up 15 minutes earlier and practice for 10 minutes, then when back home another 10 and then 10 later befor sleep.

Make 10 minutes at lunchtime to read part of a theory ebook.

Stopping off for a Cappuccino then there another 10 minutes in the theory book.

Download music apps, note and chord recognition, listen and practice whilst walking around town, learn hiw ro transcribe a song and practice that when out and about.

Surprizing how much time you can make with a little lateral thinking.

Learning to play keys is not all about pressing the keys.

Reaction score
Its difficult in a busy life to fit things in but it is generally thought that little and often is far more beneficial than one large chunk of actions.

How about trying to get up 15 minutes earlier and practice for 10 minutes, then when back home another 10 and then 10 later befor sleep.

Make 10 minutes at lunchtime to read part of a theory ebook.

Stopping off for a Cappuccino then there another 10 minutes in the theory book.

Download music apps, note and chord recognition, listen and practice whilst walking around town, learn hiw ro transcribe a song and practice that when out and about.

Surprizing how much time you can make with a little lateral thinking.

Learning to play keys is not all about pressing the keys.

I will definitely look into doing those things. I have a few apps on my phone about all the chords and their inversions. i do have some books at home and i might start bringing them with me as i travel to work. I know there is so much to learn when it comes to playing piano or any instrument for that matter. Sometimes i feel like i get ahead of myself and want to learn a song before learning all that goes into understanding inversions and the scales. How long have you been playing?

Reaction score
Me, guitars 50+ years, keys only a couple as arthritis is now playing havoc with my hands hence the sort of switch.

So I am still learning keys and getting muscle memory working, it is very different playing on a keyboard from playing guitar. Maintaining finger dexterity takes some doing when you are my advanced age.

Learning a song is admirable, however learning chords, inversions and the embellishments that go with them makes playing a song and picking up a new song so much easier. Just listening to a song on the headphones, picking up the chord changes, the timing, the nuances of the performance all will help.

A website like ultimate guitar has thousands of songs that have been transcribed and this site makes a good source for the backing of a specific song, it is well worth a look.

Good luck with your learning.

Reaction score
Me, guitars 50+ years, keys only a couple as arthritis is now playing havoc with my hands hence the sort of switch.

So I am still learning keys and getting muscle memory working, it is very different playing on a keyboard from playing guitar. Maintaining finger dexterity takes some doing when you are my advanced age.

Learning a song is admirable, however learning chords, inversions and the embellishments that go with them makes playing a song and picking up a new song so much easier. Just listening to a song on the headphones, picking up the chord changes, the timing, the nuances of the performance all will help.

A website like ultimate guitar has thousands of songs that have been transcribed and this site makes a good source for the backing of a specific song, it is well worth a look.

Good luck with your learning.

Wow, 50+ years, that's amazing. I have a guitar as well and that actually has been more challenging for me than the piano/keyboard and probably because i dont have the dexterity in my hands to play the chords properly on the guitar. I agree with you, learning all the nuances of a song would make it easier to play not just the song i want to learn but it will help being able to play anything and one of my goals is to be able to play at my church with my wife. My wife has such an amazing singing voice and i always tell her one day we will do something together at church. I will check out that site as well and i truly thank you for all your advice.

Reaction score
Great.

Now you mention church can I suggest that you consider other keyboard types, notably an arranger.

With their vast array of instrument sounds, inbuilt styles and amp/speakers they may be mire flexible for your needs than a digital piano.

A workstation such as the Roland Juno DS 88, gives far more flexibility for sounds and the ability to split the keyboard so the left hand plays a layers set of sounds and the right hand another instrument like piano or organ, its a very flexible keyboard.

Ask a Question