Casio CTK-4200 or Yamaha PSR-E243

Reaction score
there are two keyboards I decided to use and would like you to tell me what you think of it

Casio CTK-4200 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CTK4200

or

Yamaha PSR-E243 61-key Portable Arranger http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSRE243

I've actually found out that the difference between these two is that Yamaha sounds more natural piano and acoustic while the Casio sounds more virtual and plastic when it comes to piano. I was planning to use midi keyboard controller for the purpose of playing through vsti plugin using Daw, but since these two are portable and have USB port, I can use it to play with or without daw, which makes my life so much easier.

Main difference between these Two

Yamaha: No Sequencer, has midi port in/out
Casio: Has Sequencer, No midi port in/out (just has USB)

What I would like to ask

1. I am actually planning to mainly play instruments such as guitar, bass, drum and piano using the keyboard through Daw. For example, does the quality of sound for virtual guitar depend on the keyboard or does it depend on the good vsti plugin?

2. Which of these two would you recommend?

thank you

Reaction score
1) Good VST would sound good on any of the two choices you've mentioned.

2) I would recommend a Casio because it has a sequencer, and also because I have played it and it sounds okay to me( note that Yamaha model doesnt really sound that great either)

I'd suggest you play both of them and get a feel.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
1) Good VST would sound good on any of the two choices you've mentioned.

2) I would recommend a Casio because it has a sequencer, and also because I have played it and it sounds okay to me( note that Yamaha model doesnt really sound that great either)

I'd suggest you play both of them and get a feel.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply! I decided to buy the Casio CTK-4200. Just wanted to ask, this has octave raise to play like 88 key keyboard right?

Ask a Question