Casio WK-200 Broken Key how to fix

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To give you an idea of a DIY repair take a look at a few videos from this youtube search.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+repair+casio+wk-200+broken+key

For doing a proper repair you'd need to order the part or parts from Casio. That may end up costing you more than you paid for the unit.

A professional repair would definitely end up costing more than you paid for the unit.

Low end Casios are pretty much designed to be disposable keyboards. Once they die you toss them.

If you're feeling brave and have nothing to lose you might want to carefully crack it open and see if you can kludge some sort of support brace with epoxy and fibreglass or carbon fiber and see if you can fix it that way.

If you open it up and send some better pics I'd perhaps be able to offer some better advice on how to proceed.

How much did you pay for it to begin with if you don't mind my asking and did you know the key was broken when you bought it?

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other thought comes to mind. Search Ebay for a junker of the same model you could use for parts swapping or you could even swap the broken key for one in a higher or lower octave that wouldn't be missed as much when playing.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks Gary for your fast response. It seams yes that I will have to take it apart and have a look properly at what is going on underneath.

Cheers,

Alex

Reaction score
Can anyone show me how to take the whole front peice I made sure everything is screwed out. So I can take it out. I don't know where to start I dont wanna break it

Reaction score
Can anyone show me how to take the whole front peice I made sure everything is screwed out. So I can take it out. I don't know where to start I dont wanna break it
Welcome

If you search on Google you will find quite a few videos of people doing stripdowns of keyboards.

You may not find one specific to the one you seek but if you watch a few for different Casio’s you should get the idea.

If you are not well versed with DIY repairs then eBaying your broken keyboard for spares and buying a new one or a second hand unit that works may well be the better option.

Not a 200 but it shows how to open up

Reaction score
I have the same keyboard, it belonged to my mother and had sentimental value. A key recently broke (the unit fell). Long story short - Casio does not stock any parts for vintage keyboards and they are the most unhelpful, friendly, unappreciative (of their customers) company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I spoke to multiple parts companies, but they all required the part number. Couldn't get a schematic anywhere. At someone's (bad) direction, I took it apart. The keybed has no part number as he said. I eventually ended up buying another model that someone told me used the same keyed. Cost me about $40.

Today, when attempting to put it back together (mind you, no experience at this and haven't touched/played a piano/keyboard in decades), I got the keyed in place and realized the power button circuit board needed to go in first (too much time between when I took it apart and finally got the new one, and I could't remember - should've video taped the process!!). I unscrewed the keybed and the CB wouldn't fit (couldn't lower it to get near the opening. That was when I realized that I was missing the actual power button that fit over it. I don't know if I had it when I originally took it apart, but don't remember it being missing.

So now I need to know 2 things - does it go on the inside of the keyboard, or can it be attached from the outside? And, where can I get one? Not buying another keyboard, and this model cost hundreds to replace. Appreciate any advice. Thank you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pretty much everything that could be said about repairing one of these has been pretty much covered in this thread.

Sorry, but the well is dry.

Or spend $50 and get someone with a 3D printer to make a new button cap for you.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question