Cheapest Keyboard For Midi Files

Reaction score
Hi all, I need the cheapest keyboard that will allow me to load a Midi file and alter it using the step technique (see the dot on the individual channels and delete or add or change volume) . If I remember rightly the KN2000 allowed me to do that Just wondering what other cheap keyboards allowed this.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be more precise, the cheapest solution is your smartphone and one of these.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think the cheapest Yamaha that has step editing would be one of the PSR-SX or older PSR-S models, but you'd need to check the manual of any particular model to see whether it has the "Song Creator" feature.

Casio also makes CTK and WK models that have step editing, but again you'd need to check the manual of any particular model to see whether it has this feature. I'm not sure if Casio has a specific name for the feature.

However, there are many computer programs available for editing MIDI files, and some can be downloaded and used for free-- for example, SynthFont (version 1) or the Anvil Studio DAW, among others.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I seriously doubt this guy is looking for buggy drivers from Yamaha...

Way out of his price range anyway.

All he needs is an input device and some software.

If he's running a PC desktop he could use Cakewalk by Bandlab or any of a hundred sharewares. Let's face it, there's nothing out there that's free except Cakewalk.

If he buys the right keyboard he could end up with a Bundled OEM DAW that activates with his purchase.

Right now though, the only thing he probably needs is a keyboard and appropriate cabling for whatever platform he's working with,

I assume nothing else.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Or

If the Op has an iPad or a touch screen PC they do not even need a MIDI keyboard.

I can import and edit MIDI files on my iPad using the Garage Band daw (it is free) and it even has an onscreen keyboard.

You can do the same with a touch screen PC

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually you can do it entirely from your PC's mouse and keyboard if all you want to do is edit an imported MIDI file.

In the old days we used DOS to edit MIDI files. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

AND CAKEWALK WAS THE FIRST DAW ON THE MARKET!!!! ;)

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a Reaper fan myself. It isn't free (although you can use a completely unlocked evaluation copy for ever if you don't have a conscience lol) but it uses so few cpu/system resources that it will save you money if you ever want to use vst instruments in earnest.

There are lots of free sequencers you can use to edit midi files, and lots of youtube videos comparing them.

Reaction score
Hi all, I need the cheapest keyboard that will allow me to load a Midi file and alter it using the step technique (see the dot on the individual channels and delete or add or change volume) . If I remember rightly the KN2000 allowed me to do that Just wondering what other cheap keyboards allowed this.

Korg nanoKONTROL2 Slim-Line USB Control Surface​

Ask a Question