Connecting a keyboard to a tascam multitrack recorder

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a Yamaha MOX8, and I'm also considering buying a Tascam digital 8-track pocket studio to record some stuff with. Is it possible to connect the MOX8 to the Tascam, such that I can play, hear what I'm playing, and record onto the Tascam at the same time? Or, have headphones connected while I'm also recording? I have to say, the MOX8 seems pretty complex and has a sharp learning curve. I'm wondering what this connection would entail. I read the MOX8 manual but couldn't figure it out. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Which model Tascam specifically?

The DP-008EX has both RCA Line Level Lines out as well as Headphones out so it should be no problem to feed to headphones or monitors or both.

Reaction score
Also, I have M-Audio Studio speakers connected to the keyboard right now. I have RCA inputs feeding to the keyboard. The front of the speakers have an "Aux In" input. Is that where I'd connect the Tascam?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No. You feed the MOX Line OUTs to the Tascam Line INs and then plug your monitors into the Tascam RCA Line OUTs using suitable adapter plugs and then you're good to go.

You'll be able to hear yourself record as well as play back the recordings with no other fuss.

Gary

Reaction score
Okay, thanks, that makes sense. Just one other question: Looking at the images of the Tascam, I see that the Line Ins are labeled Input A and B. How do A and B correspond with my Yamaha's Output L/R Mono?

Right now, I have the R/L Mono Output on the Yamaha feeding to the RCA Input L/R on my speakers.

Happy Canada Day, btw!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what I can see you have total control of panning for each recording channel on the Tascam so it will depend on how exactly you set up to record and twiddle the knobs to direct A or B to L or R channels.

In other words it's arbitrary.

Personally I own a couple of M-Audio BX-5As and I find it's best to feed mine from the line outs on my 1202FX mixer directly to the XLR inputs on the speakers.

I'd recommend getting a couple of these cables for your speaker hookups.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-104...d=1404267988&sr=8-8&keywords=rca+to+xlr+cable

Thanks for the Canada Day Salute. I'm gonna step outside right now and enjoy the fireworks in the neighbourhood. ;)

Gary

Ask a Question