contolling multiple units via midi

Reaction score
I am a drummer and not a keyboard person. I do have some basic knowledge of midi and am looking for some direction.

currently we have a band that has two keyboard players and most of the the time they use casio keyboards, Two for one player and one for the second player, mainly for fills.

sometimes the player with two may want to use his hi end Yamaha for one of the casio. I have a Yamaha DTX

The question is.. Could or should one player be able to direct all the items to change to settings for a paticlular song?

there are times when making the changes to all of these can take some time and we wondered if this song XXXXXX was coming up next, the main keyboard player could cause all the midi items to select the correct patches or settings from his location and what might it take to do it if it was possible?

Sorry if I am asking in the wrong place or asking ignorant questions but I am basicly ignorant to midi but I will not be for long!!!

Reaction score
Just a simple question...

Why not save all the sounds that you need in order - so when you need to switch a sound - all it takes you is a push of the NEXT/INC/UP button :D

Why all the hassle with midi cables? Especially if you take in consideration
how 2 different keyboards (apart from the keybed) take button signals differently.

For example - program change on one keyboard may be something else (or nothing at all) on a different keyboard.

oh, and suggest to your keyboard player a change of his rig. If it's a full band - he'll be reborn with a set of workstation keyboards :)

Ask a Question